[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"LLANDILO VANE, (or Llandeilo-arfan, or Llandilor-fane), a parish in the hundred of Merthyr, county Brecon, 8 miles E. of Llandovery, and 10 N.W. of Brecknock, its post town. It is situated in a hilly district on the river Ciliene, a tributary of the Usk. A portion of this parish was a demesne of the abbey of Strata Florida. The village, which is considerable, is divided into Upper and Lower. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value £83. The church is dedicated to St. Teilo. Llandilo Hall is the principal residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.