|North and South Llandefalley||Contents &
"NORTH AND SOUTH LLANDEFALLEY, a parish in the hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, 5 miles N.E. of Brecknock, its post town, and 6 S.W. of Glasbury. The parish forms two divisions, known as North and South Llandefalley. The village, which is considerable, is situated a little to the S.W. of the river Wye. In the vicinity is a medicinal spring impregnated with sulphur. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Crickadarn, in the diocese of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Matthew, is a spacious structure with stained-glass windows and a timbered roof. It contains monumental effigies of two prelates. The charities produce about £8 per annum. There are traces of an ancient camp. Trebarried and Trebris are the names of former seats, now in ruins."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.|