"LLANELIEU, a parish in the hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, 5 miles S.W. of Hay, its post town, and 7 N.E. of Brecknock. It is situated at the foot of the Cradle Mountain. The surrounding scenery is somewhat of a gloomy cast. The village consists of a few scattered houses. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, value £90. The church is dedicated to St. Ellyw. This parish shares in a fund left by Mr. Rice Powell for apprenticing children. An ancient flint spear head and other remains have been found here. There are several old seats, for the most part converted into farms."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.|