"LLANELLY, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Crickhowell, county Brecon, 2 miles S. of Crickhowell, and 5 W. of Abergavenny, its post town. It is situated on the rivers Clydach and Usk, and the Brecon canal passes through it. It includes the parcels of Aberbaidan and Maesgwartha, and two waterfalls. Coal and lime are obtained, and iron ore is smelted at the Clydach and Llyndach iron-works. A tram road passes by the side of the river, under the canal aqueduct to the Beaufort works. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a perpetual curacy* The church is dedicated to St. Ellyw. The parochial charities amount to about £30 per annum. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have chapels."
"ABERBAIDEN, a hamlet in the parcel of the chapelry of Llanelly, hundred of Crickhowell, in the county of Brecon, South Wales, 4 miles S.W. of Crickhowell. It is situated at the confluence of the small river Baiden with the Usk, and is intersected by the river Clydach, which flows through a deep valley and joins the Usk. In the course of the Clydach are several cascades, the most remarkable of which is named Pwll-y-Cwn, "the dog's pool". Over this river the Brecknock canal is carried along an embanked aqueduct, at the height of 84 feet above the river bed. Employment is furnished by collieries, lime-works, and the Clydach iron-works, which are very extensive, producing above 200 tons a week. The hamlet maintains its own poor. South of the hill, near the Pwll-y-Cwn, may be seen remains of an ancient British fort, called the Gaer."
"MAESGWARTHA, a parcel in the chapelry of Llanelly, county Brecon, 2 miles S. of Crickhowell. Limestone is quarried."