Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
LLANVIGAN - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"LLANVIGAN, (or Llanfeugan), a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 4 miles S.E. of Brecknock, its post town, and 9 N.W. of Crickhowell. It is situated in the vicinity of the river Usk and the Brecon canal. The parish contains the hamlets of Glynn-Collwn, and Penkelly. A castle formerly stood here, which belonged to the Mortimers. The people are mostly employed in the mines. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. David's, value with the curacy of Glynn annexed, £480. The church is dedicated to St. Vengan. The parochial endowments produce about £42 per annum. Here is a yew-tree above 9 yards in circumference."
"GLYNN-COLLWN, a hamlet in the parish of Llanvigan, hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 4 miles S.E. of Brecknock. Here is a church, the living of which is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Llanvigan, in the diocese of St. David's. Hazel Glen is a pleasant spot in this locality."
"PENKELLY, a hamlet in the parish of Llanvigan, hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 4 miles S.E. of Brecknock. There are traces of a castle, which formerly belonged to the Mortimers, Despencers, Devereuxs, and other influential families."
"TAL-Y-BONT, a village in the parishes of Llanthetty and Llanvigan, county Brecon, 5 miles S.E. of Brecknock."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.