Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
LLANVRYNACH - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"LLANVRYNACH, a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 3 miles S.E. of Brecknock, its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Usk and the Brecon canal. The Roman Via Julia Montana passes near this place. Brycan, Prince of Brecknock, had his seat here. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. David's, value £200. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Brynach. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. Baths, coins, and other Roman remains were discovered here in the last century. This was the birth-place of Aubrey, the antiquary, who lived in the 17th century, and of other men of note. Maes Derwen and Ty Mawr are seats here."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.