GENUKI Home page
Llanvrynach Llanvrynach   Contents & Search Contents &
Search


LLANVRYNACH - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANVRYNACH, a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 3 miles S.E. of Brecknock, its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Usk and the Brecon canal. The Roman Via Julia Montana passes near this place. Brycan, Prince of Brecknock, had his seat here. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. David's, value 200. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Brynach. The parochial charities produce about 6 per annum. Baths, coins, and other Roman remains were discovered here in the last century. This was the birth-place of Aubrey, the antiquary, who lived in the 17th century, and of other men of note. Maes Derwen and Ty Mawr are seats here."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.


Valid HTML 4.0! Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated at 18.53 on Sunday, 04 July 2004, Gaz3 v01.34 by Rosemary Lockie]

Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.