We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

LLANGAMMARCH - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANGAMMARCH, (or Llwyncadwgan), a parish in the hundred of Builth, county Brecon, 7 miles S.W. of Builth, its post town, and 13 N.W. of Brecknock: It is a small village, situated at the confluence of the rivers Gammarch and Irfon. The parish includes the hamlets of Penbuallt and Treflis. There is a spring of mineral water. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value with the curacies of Llanwrtyd and Llanddewi Abergwessin annexed, £209, in the patronage of the bishop.

The church is dedicated to St. Gammarch. The parochial endowments, including that to Jones's school, produce about £24 per annum. There are remains of a British camp, 240 feet in circumference. Caerau and Llancadwgan are ancient seats, the first belonging to the Lloyds, and the latter to the Cadogans, and on the banks of the Gammarch is Llwyn-Madoc, the seat of H. Thomas, Esq. Several persons eminent in literature have been born here, including Jones, the historian of Brecknock; T. Evans, author of "Drych-y-Pri-f Oesoedd", or History of the Britons; James Howel, author of "Familiar Letters".

"PEMBUALLT, a hamlet in the parish of Llangammarch, hundred of Builth, county Brecon, 8 miles S.W. of Builth. It is situated on the river Irvon."

"TREFLIS, a hamlet in the parish of Llangammarch, hundred of Builth, county of Brecon, 8 miles S.W. of Builth, near the river Irvon."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.