Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLANGATTOCK, a parish in the hundred of Crickhowoll, county Brecon, 1 mile W. of Crickhowell, its post town, and 11 miles S.E. of Brecknock. It is situated on the banks of the river Usk, opposite the town of Crickhowell, a bridge connecting the two parishes. The Brecon canal passes through this parish, which includes the parcels of Penallt, Prisk, and Kille. In 728 the Saxons, under Ethelbald, were defeated by the Britons in this neighbourhood. Here are collieries, and the extensive Beaufort iron works, affording employment to many of the people, as well as' limestone quarries. ... " [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Coomber, Matthew. Old Rectory, Llangattock : renovation of a rundown former rectory in the Brecon Beacons. Building (1.2.91), p. 54-5.
Sankey-Barker, Sarah. Life in Llangattock in the first half of the twentieth century. Brycheiniog 32 (2000), p. 112-52.
Walker, Kevin. The Llangattock escarpment. Brecon : Heritage Guides, 1995. 19p.
Pubs, Inns, Taverns, etc., extracted from 1871 census for Beaufort
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given under Breconshire Parish Registers on the Powys Archives website.
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives:
- Baptisms 1703-1961; Marriages 1703-1986; Banns 1823-1848; Burials 1703-1992. Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Gwent Archives / Powys Archives. Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW and/or Gwent Archives.
Brynmawr parish was formed out of Llangatwg and Llanelli parishes in 1875, extant records:
- Baptisms 1850-1954; Marriages 1873-1977; Banns 1943-53; Burials 1888-1943 (Gwent Archives).
A Photo Essay of Brynmawr by Jeffrey Thomas.
Places, villages, farms etc., in Llangatwg parish as shown on the parish map on the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R. J. P., Oliver, R. R.). (Extracted by John Ball)
- Penallt / Prisk and Killey [76A / 76B] - Beaufort, Blaen-Onneu, Brynmawr, Careg Waen-llech, Cilau, Clydach Terrace, Coed Pen-twyn, Cwrt, Dan-y-daren, Dan-y-Park, Dardy, Daren, Daren Cilau, Eglwys Faen, Fedw (x 2), Ffawyddog, Garn Goch, Garn-lydan, Glan-Usk Park, Hen Castell, Llangattock, Llangattwg Park, Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal, Neuadd, Neuadd-fawr, P. A. Inst, Pant-y-rhiw, Park Farm (x 2), Pen-cilau, Pen-pedair-heol, Pen-rhiw, Pen-y-bryn, Pen-y-fedw, Prysg, Pwll Coch, Pwll Gwy-rhoc, Reservoir, Rhes-fach, Rifle Ranges, Tyle, Ty-Rachel, Ty-uchaf, Waen-llech, Waun-goch, Wern-Watkin
Description of Beaufort from Theophilus Jones's The History of Brecknockshire, revised in 1909.
Description of Brynmawr from Theophilus Jones's The History of Brecknockshire revised in 1909.
You can see pictures of Llangatwg which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO210177 (Lat/Lon: 51.852240, -3.148411), Llangatwg which are provided by: