Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
LLANGENNY - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"LLANGENNY, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Crickhowell, county Brecon, 2 miles E. of Crickhowell, its post town, 9 from Abergavenny, and 13 S.E. of Brecknock. It is situated at the confluence of the rivers Grwyney and Usk. Iron founding and paper-making are carried on in this parish. The village is small. The tithes were commuted in 1840. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Llangattock, in the diocese of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Cenew. The charities amount to about £2 per annum. A bell was found here in 1809, supposed to have formerly belonged to the oratory of the saint. There is a holy well, to which certain virtues were ascribed, and near it a stone pillar of about 13 feet in height. Cwrt-y-Gollen is the principal residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.