"LLANGENNY, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Crickhowell, county Brecon, 2 miles E. of Crickhowell, its post town, 9 from Abergavenny, and 13 S.E. of Brecknock. It is situated at the confluence of the rivers Grwyney and Usk. Iron founding and paper-making are carried on in this parish. The village is small. The tithes were commuted in 1840. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Llangattock, in the diocese of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Cenew. The charities amount to about £2 per annum. A bell was found here in 1809, supposed to have formerly belonged to the oratory of the saint. There is a holy well, to which certain virtues were ascribed, and near it a stone pillar of about 13 feet in height. Cwrt-y-Gollen is the principal residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.|