Downtime: The Genuki web service will be unavailable on Tues 24 Apr from 10:00 BST for approximately two hours whilst some software updates are installed.
Open a form to report problems or contribute information
LLANHAMLACH - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANHAMLACH, a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 3 miles S.E. of Brecknock, its post town, and 9 N.E. of Crickhowell. It is situated on the river Usk, and near the line of the Roman road Via Julia Montana. The Brecon canal passes through the parish, which includes the hamlet of Llecfaen. This was the patrimony of the Wallbeoffe family, who inherited it from Bernard Newmarch. About 2 miles from the village the Usk is crossed by two bridges, one carrying the road which leads from Brecon to Tallybont and Llangynder, and the other the Brecon and Pontypool canal. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is shaded by some magnificent yew trees. The charities produce about £5 per annum. There is a cromlech or cistvaen called Ty-iltid in the grounds of Mannest Court."
"LLECFAEN, a hamlet in the parish of Llanhamlach, county Brecon, 3 miles S.E. of Brecknock. It lies near the Roman Via Julia Montana, and is watered by the river Usk. The Hay line of railway passes through it."