GENUKI Home page
Llanhamlach Llanhamlach   Contents & Search Contents &
Search


LLANHAMLACH - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANHAMLACH, a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 3 miles S.E. of Brecknock, its post town, and 9 N.E. of Crickhowell. It is situated on the river Usk, and near the line of the Roman road Via Julia Montana. The Brecon canal passes through the parish, which includes the hamlet of Llecfaen. This was the patrimony of the Wallbeoffe family, who inherited it from Bernard Newmarch. About 2 miles from the village the Usk is crossed by two bridges, one carrying the road which leads from Brecon to Tallybont and Llangynder, and the other the Brecon and Pontypool canal. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is shaded by some magnificent yew trees. The charities produce about 5 per annum. There is a cromlech or cistvaen called Ty-iltid in the grounds of Mannest Court."

"LLECFAEN, a hamlet in the parish of Llanhamlach, county Brecon, 3 miles S.E. of Brecknock. It lies near the Roman Via Julia Montana, and is watered by the river Usk. The Hay line of railway passes through it."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.


Valid HTML 4.0! Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated at 18.53 on Sunday, 04 July 2004, Gaz3 v01.34 by Rosemary Lockie]

Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.