Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
LLANSAINTFFRAED - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"LLANSAINTFFRAED, a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 6 miles S.E. of Brecknock, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Crickhowell. It is situated on the river Usk and the Roman Via Julia Montana. The Brecon canal intersects the parish, which includes the village of Skethiog, formerly a possession of the princes of Powys. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. David's, value £295. The church is dedicated to St. Fread, or Fried. It contains monuments of the Jones family, and of Vaughan, a former rector, chemist, and astrologer. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. In this parish is a mansion called Buckland, long the residence of a branch of the Gwynne family, now of Mrs. Gwynne Holford; also Skethiog House and Noyadd."
"SKETHIOG, a village in the parish of Llansaintffraed, county Brecon, 5 miles S.E. of Brecon."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.