"LLANSAINTFFRAED, a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 6 miles S.E. of Brecknock, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Crickhowell. It is situated on the river Usk and the Roman Via Julia Montana. The Brecon canal intersects the parish, which includes the village of Skethiog, formerly a possession of the princes of Powys. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. David's, value £295. The church is dedicated to St. Fread, or Fried. It contains monuments of the Jones family, and of Vaughan, a former rector, chemist, and astrologer. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. In this parish is a mansion called Buckland, long the residence of a branch of the Gwynne family, now of Mrs. Gwynne Holford; also Skethiog House and Noyadd."
"SKETHIOG, a village in the parish of Llansaintffraed, county Brecon, 5 miles S.E. of Brecon."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.|