"LLANWRTHWL, a parish in the hundred of Builth, county Brecon, 3 miles S. of Rhayader, its post town, and 9 N.W. of Builth. The river Wye flows through the parish. Copper ore is worked here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £85, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Wrthwl, is a small structure. The parochial charities amount to about £16 per annum, besides a share of Boughrood, Brecon. Near the church is a pillar cross, and in the neighbourhood are several Druidic remains."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.|