Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLYWELL, (or Llewyllt), a parish in the hundred of Devynnock, county Brecon, 11 miles W. of Brecknock, its post town, and 8 from Llandovery. It is situated in a hilly neighbourhood, on the Roman Via Julia Montana, and watered by the river Usk. The parish includes the ward of Trecastle, chapelry of Ysclydach, and the hamlets of Traian-Glas, Traian-Hale, and Traian-Mawr. ... " [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Evans, Thomas O. Roots and branches: a geneaology of some of the older families of the parishes of Llanddeusant and LLywel. Aberhonddu: T. O. Evans, 1988. 192p
Jones-Davies, Josiah. A study of the Kingdom of Brycheiniog at the beginning of the Age of the Saints with special reference to the Llywel Stone. [Llywel]: J. Jones-Davies, 1956. 32p
Price, Chris. Brecknock hall of fame: Rhys Davies ('Llew Llywel'), 1844-1899. Hanes: Newsletter of the Brecknock History Forum, No 11 (May 2003), 9.
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given under Breconshire Parish Registers on the Powys Archives website.
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives:
- Baptisms 1694-1730, 1733-1938; Marriages 1694-1730, 1733-1753, 1782-1971; Burials 1694-1730, 1733-1900; Banns 1809-1983 Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives. Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW.
Traeanglas formed out of Llywel in 1890, extant records are:
- Baptisms; Marriages 1891-1971 (NLW and/ or Powys Archives).
Places, villages, farms etc., in Llywel parish as shown on the parish map on the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R. J. P., Oliver, R. R.). (Extracted by John Ball)
- Ysclydach  - Berth-ddu, Cefn-twrch, Cefn-y-gof, Cwm-Clydach, Cwm-Wisg-ganol, Ddalfa, Fedw, Llwyn-cyntefin, Pentre-bach, Pentre'r-felin, Pyllan, Trawscoed.
- Traian-mawr [62A] - Beiliau, Bronydd-mawr, Bwllfa, Gareg-lwyd, Garn-rhiw, Llwyn-carw, Llwyn Gronw, Llywel, Melin-y-glyn, Pwll-du.
- Trecastle [62B] - Penfay, Graig-goch, Trecastle.
- Traian-glas [63A] - Aber-Crai, Aber-Hydfer, Allt-y-fan, Blaen-Wysg, Blaenau-isaf, Bryn-tywarch, Bwysfa, Cwm Cynwal, Cwm Wysg, Dorallt, Gelli-garn, Llwyn-celyn, Meity, Nant-y-pistyll, Pant-Madog, Pen-y-rhiw, Pen y Wingon, Pentre-bach, Pont ar Hydfer, Pont Newydd, Pwll-uchaf, Troedrhiw-fer, Twyn, Uscoed-reddfin, Ynys-fawr.
- Traian-glas - Fforest-fawr [63B] - Blaen-Car, Bryn-maen-du, Bwlch-Bryn-rhudd, Dderi, Ffynnon gwyddau, Llwyn-yr-yn, Llyn y Fan fawr, Maen Mawr Stone Circle, Rhyd-wen.
You can see pictures of Llywel which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN870301 (Lat/Lon: 51.957829, -3.645936), Llywel which are provided by: