We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
MERTHYR-CYNOG - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"MERTHYR-CYNOG, a parish in the hundred of Merthyr-Cynog, county Brecon, 8 miles from Brecon, its post town. It is situated on the river Honddhu, a branch of the river Usk, among the mountains. The parish contains the chapelry of Dyffrin Honddu, and the hamlets of Yscir-Vawr and Vechan. At Alltarnog is a camp, and two pillar crosses at Mynachty. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £90. The parish church is dedicated to St. Cynog. There is also a district church at Dyffrin-Honddu, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £66. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. The Independents and Calvinistic Methodists have each a place of worship."
"DYFFRYN-HONDDU, a chapelry comprising the hamlets of Upper and Lower Dyffryn, in the parish of Merthyr-Cynog, hundred of Merthyr, in the county of Brecon, 8 miles N.W. of Brecknock. It is situated in the Vale of Honddu. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value £66, in the gift of the vicar of the parish."
"YSCIR-VAWR and YSCIR-VECHAN, hamlets in the parish of Merthyr-Cynog, county Brecon, 10 miles N.W. of Brecknock. They are situated among the mountains in the vale of the Yscir stream, which joins the Usk at Aberyscir."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.