"TALGARTH, a parish in the hundred of the same name, county Brecon, 7 miles S.W, of Hay, its post town, and 9 from Brecon. It has stations on the Mid Wales and Brecon and Merthyr railways. It is situated on the river Llyffin, under Pen-cader-fawr, among the Black mountains, and near the river Ennig. Talgarth is a borough by prescription, but without privilege or municipal jurisdiction. It was also a market town, and had a castle at Dinas Hill. There is a cromlech at Croeslechan, and Druid stones on the hills. The surface abounds in hilly sheep walks. The parish includes Forest, Grwyne, Pwll-y-wrach, and Trefeccan.
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £250, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Windsor. The church, dedicated to St. Gwendeline, is old, with a tower containing six bells. The parochial charities produce about £31 per annum, besides Gunter's almshouse. The Wesleyans and Independents have chapels. Trefeccan House stands on the Llangorse road, and is the place where Howel Harris founded his sect in 1752, and Tredustan, the seat of the Prossers, is where Lady Huntingdon had her school. Fairs are held on 2nd February, 12th March, 31st May, 10th July, 23rd September, 2nd November, and 3rd December, for cattle."
"CROESLLECHAN, a cromlech in the county of Brecon, near Talgarth; its top stone has been lifted several inches by a hawthorn growing under it."
"FOREST, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, South Wales, 7 miles S.W. of Hay. It is situated in the vicinity of the Black mountains, at the foot of Talgarth. In the vicinity is Gader Cromlech."
"GRWYNE-FAWR, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, South Wales, in the vicinity of Talgarth. It is situated at the foot of the Black Mountains, on two tributaries of the river Usk, which flows through the neighbourhood."
"GRWYNE-FECHAN, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, South Wales, close to the above."
"PWLL-Y-WRACH, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, 2 miles from Talgarth, and 8 S. by W. of Hay. It is situated under Pen-cader-fawr, in the Black mountains, and near the river Llyffin."
"TALGARTH BOROUGH, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon."
"TREFECCA, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, 8 miles S.W. of Hay, near the river Lynvi. On the Llangorse road is Trevecca House, founded in 1752 by Howel Harris, a disciple of Whitefield, for Calvinistic Dissenters."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.|