[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"VAINOR, a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 4 miles N.E. of Merthyr Tydfil. The village is situated on the river Taff. The parish includes the hamlets of Coed-y-Cymmar, Dyffrin, and Gelli. There are iron and coal mines, &c. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. David, value £265. The church is dedicated to St. Gwendoline; near it is a pillar-stone. There are several cairns in the vicinity."
"DYFFRIN, a hamlet in the parish of Vainor, in the county of Brecon, 3 miles N. of Merthyr-Tydvil. It is situated on the Tafvawr river."
"GELLI, a hamlet in the parish of Vainor, county Brecon, South Wales, 4 miles N.W. of Merthyr-Tydvil."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.