"VAINOR, a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 4 miles N.E. of Merthyr Tydfil. The village is situated on the river Taff. The parish includes the hamlets of Coed-y-Cymmar, Dyffrin, and Gelli. There are iron and coal mines, &c. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. David, value £265. The church is dedicated to St. Gwendoline; near it is a pillar-stone. There are several cairns in the vicinity."
"DYFFRIN, a hamlet in the parish of Vainor, in the county of Brecon, 3 miles N. of Merthyr-Tydvil. It is situated on the Tafvawr river."
"GELLI, a hamlet in the parish of Vainor, county Brecon, South Wales, 4 miles N.W. of Merthyr-Tydvil."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.|