Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"ABERERCH, a parish in the hundred of Dinlaen, union of Pwllheli, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 1 mile N.E. of Pwllheli. It lies pleasantly on the shore at the mouth of the river Erch, and the surrounding scenery is very agreeable. It has a large ancient church dedicated to St. Cwrda. The living is a perpetual cur: with the curacy of Penrhoss annexed, value £96, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor. The Independents, and the Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, have chapels in the parish." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Rhyd-y-gwystl Woollen Factory Accounts 1823 - 1882 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"...... the business was running from 1835 - 1882 and was situated in the parish of Aber-erch ....."
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of ;
- St Cawrdaf Church, nr Abererch
- Ebenezer Independent Chapel, Abererch
- Ebeneser Welsh CM Ysgoldy/school room/chapel, Four Crosses ( Y Ffor)
There is a photograph of Ebeneser (Ind) chapel on the Penllyn.com site
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Abererch chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Feb 2010) Also Fourcrosses chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Feb 2010)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Abererch Parish; Statistics; Area 5962 acres; Population 818 males, 964 females, total 1782
- Abererch Parish Church "A fine old Parish Church" Attendance - morning 48 + 50 scholars Service in Welsh "In consequence of my having to ride to Penrhos Chapel, at a distance of four miles from hence to perform the Afternoon service at 3 o'clock I am obliged to drop the Evening Service at Abererch during the winter months" A Pugh, Vicar
- Ebenezer, Independents Erected 1822 Attendance - morning 50 scholars, afternoon 79, evening 76 Thomas Griffith, Minister, Capel Helyg, Pwllheli
- Abererch Chapel, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1811 Attendance - morning 56 scholars, afternoon 194, evening 104 Thos. Griffith, Diacon, Ty yn y Nant, Pwllheli
- Tyddynsion Chapel, Old Babtists Erected 1839 Attendance - morning 42 scholars, afternoon 95, evening 35 Robert Owen, Deacon, Brynaerau
- Llwyndyrus Chapel, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1838 Attendance - morning 150, afternoon 124 scholars, evening 130 Evan Davies, Deacon, Pen y bont
- Fourcrosses Chapel, Calvinistic Methodists Erected 1815 Attendance - morning 163 scholars, afternoon 137, evening 314 William Owen, Deacon, Hendrefeinws
You can see pictures of Abererch which are provided by:
"ABEREIRCH (ABER-ERCH), a parish partly In the hundred of DINLLAEN, and partly in the hundred of EIVIONEDD, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 1 1/2 mile (E. N. E.) from Pwllheli, on the road to Criccieth, containing 1365 inhabitants. This small parish is pleasantly situated on the sea-shore, near the mouth of the river Eirch, from which it has received its name, and contains some agreeable scenery, interspersed with several well-built genteel houses, the principal of which is Hendrev, the property and residence of the Rev. T. Roberts. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Penrhos annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £ 6, endowed with £ 600 royal bounty, and £ 600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Cawrdav, is an ancient and spacious building, in the later style of English architecture, and consists of a nave, north aisle, and chancel ; the two eastern windows, which are enriched with elegant tracery, have been ornamented with stained glass. There are places of Worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. A tenement in the parish was bequeathed for the use of the poor, by the late Rev. Mr. Conway, the incumbent, and is now let for £6 per annum, which, with £4 per annum, arising from other charitable donations and bequests, is annually distributed on St. Thomas' day. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £460. 13." (Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833). (Copied using the original books AND the Cd published by Archive CD Books
Bryngolau (Abererch) papers 1857-1904 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"William Williams and family farmed at Bryngolau (or Bryn Goleu, Bryngoleu), Abererch during the mid 19th century, later moving to Pwllheli, Caernarfonshire"
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH397366 (Lat/Lon: 52.902848, -4.384877), Abererch which are provided by: