We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Abergwyngregyn / Aber

"ABERGWYNGREGIN, (or Aber), a parish in the hundred of Uchaf, and union of Bangor, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 4 miles E. of Bangor, and now a station on the Holyhead railway. The village, which is small, stands at the opening of a pleasant glen, near the Lavan sands, on the Menai Straits, which at this point are about 7 miles in breadth. At low water there are 4 miles of fine sands, pleasant for walking. The small river Gwyngregyn flows through the glen and falls here into the straits. The prospect is very fine, extending over the Bay of Beaumaris, and the hills of the Isle of Anglesey, to Great Orme's Head, and the distant Island of Priestholme." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Census

1851 Census of Abergwyngregin. A full transcription by Joyce & Douglas Hinde in both "Address" and "Name Order" form.

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Aber Parish; Statistics; Area 8833 acres; Population 281 males, 262 females, total 543

  • Aber Parish Church       Attendance - morning 76 inc 20 scholars, afternoon 35      Services in Welsh       Rob. Williams, Rector
  • Aber Chapel, Weesleyan Methodists     Erected 1827      Attendance - morning 60, afternoon 132 scholars, evening 120             John Evans, Wesleyan Minister, Bangor
  • Bethleem, Calvinistic Methodist          Erected 1828        Attendance - morning 34, afternoon 39, evening 85            William Lewis, Elder, Aber
    • Davies, Tudor. Trem ar hanes yr achos yn Soar, Abergwyngregyn. Bathafarn 31 (2000), p. 31-8
    • Lilly, Gweneth. Y llan ger y llys : cadwyn o ddramâu byrion ar hanes yr offeiriadaeth yn Abergwyngregyn 1284-1991 = Six priests of Aber : a bilingual celebration of seven centuries of the priesthood at Abergwyngregyn, Diocese of Bangor : with an English version of the Welsh passages. 1991. 72p

      Description and Travel

      The Old Rectory, Abergwyngregin  - on geograph.org

      You can see pictures of Abergwyngregyn / Aber which are provided by:

      Gazetteers

      Historical Geography

      You can see the administrative areas in which Abergwyngregyn / Aber has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

      Ask for a calculation of the distance from Abergwyngregyn / Aber to another place.