"ABERGWYNGREGIN, (or Aber), a parish in the hundred of Uchaf, and union of Bangor, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 4 miles E. of Bangor, and now a station on the Holyhead railway. The village, which is small, stands at the opening of a pleasant glen, near the Lavan sands, on the Menai Straits, which at this point are about 7 miles in breadth. At low water there are 4 miles of fine sands, pleasant for walking. The small river Gwyngregyn flows through the glen and falls here into the straits. The prospect is very fine, extending over the Bay of Beaumaris, and the hills of the Isle of Anglesey, to Great Orme's Head, and the distant Island of Priestholme." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
1851 Census of Abergwyngregin. A full transcription by Joyce & Douglas Hinde in both "Address" and "Name Order" form.
Davies, Tudor. Trem ar hanes yr achos yn Soar, Abergwyngregyn. Bathafarn 31 (2000), p. 31-8
Lilly, Gweneth. Y llan ger y llys : cadwyn o ddramâu byrion ar hanes yr offeiriadaeth yn Abergwyngregyn 1284-1991 = Six priests of Aber : a bilingual celebration of seven centuries of the priesthood at Abergwyngregyn, Diocese of Bangor : with an English version of the Welsh passages. 1991. 72p
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Aber Parish; Statistics; Area 8833 acres; Population 281 males, 262 females, total 543
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
The Old Rectory, Abergwyngregin - on geograph.org
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996