GENUKI Home page
Caernarvonshire Caernarvonshire   Contents Contents

Bangor

"BANGOR, a parish, city, borough, and market town, in the hundred of Uwch-gorfai, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 9 miles to the N.E. of Carnarvon, and 238 miles by railway from London. It is situated on the north coast of the county, at the head of the bay of Beaumaris, and at the entrance to the Menai Strait, and is a station on the Holyhead railway, which is carried across the strait by the great Britannia Tubular Bridge, not far from the city. This place has existed from a very early period; but the precise time of its foundation is not known. It is the oldest see in Wales, except Llandaff, its first bishop having been appointed about A.D. 560. King Edgar confirmed the privileges of the bishopric, and added to its endowments." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Bibliography
Business and Commerce Records
Census
Church History
Church Records
Description and Travel
Gazetteers

Maps
Newspapers
Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc. 
Public Records
Schools
Social Life and Customs
Societies

Bibliography

See separate page

Business and Commerce Records

Bangor Market and Institutions Company Ltd. records 1854-1980 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"In 1855, and Act of Parliament authorised the creation of Bangor Market and Public Institutions Company Ltd. to construct and manage a market house and other buildings in Bangor............"

Carter, Vincent & Co., Solicitors, Papers  1747-1925 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Carter, Vincent & Co., Solicitors, of Bangor operated in North Wales during the 19th and 20th centuries, dealing with property and individuals in Anglesey, Caernarfonshire and Merionethshire..."

Papers of Elwyn Jones and Co., Solicitors,  1575-1940  - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Elwyn Jones and Co., Solicitors, were based in Bangor... The firm dealt with estates in Anglesey, Caernarfonshire and Merionethshire during the 19th and 20th centuries, and accumulated papers relating to its clients' interests...."

Census

Church History

Entries on church plans online

Penrallt Baptist Church, Bangor

Pearson, Matthew J. The creation of the Bangor Cathedral Chapter    (NLW's site)  Welsh History Review 20

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Bangor chapel (in Welsh )  - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Feb 2010)    Also Bethmaaca chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Sept 2009)        Also Beulah chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Feb 2010)    Also Bangor (Seisnig) chapel   - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Sept 2010)

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Bangor Parish and City; Statistics; Area 7543 acres; Population 4723 males, 4841 females, total 9564

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.

Bangor English Methodist Circuit records - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"........ The Caernavon English [Wesleyan] Circuit, Caernarfonshire, was later known as Caernarvon and Bangor English [Wesleyan] Circuit. In 1897, the Caernarvon and Bangor English [Wesleyan] Circuit established a missioner at Porthmadog. The Caernarvon and Bangor English [Wesleyan] Circuit was later known as Bangor English Methodist Circuit."

Bangor, Caernarfon and Tregarth Wesleyan Methodist Circuits Papers 1807-1992 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales   "....... The Caernarfon Wesleyan Circuit joined with the Bangor and Tregarth Circuits to form the Arfon Circuit in September 1974......"

Description and Travel

Bangor - on Wikipedia

Heritage Trail site - Bangor (Garth) Pier

Bangor - on the old uk photos site

Gazetteers

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

Newspapers

North Wales Newspapers - The Chronicle

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc. 

Bangor and Beaumaris Poor Law Union Records 1828-1945 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"The Bangor and Beaumaris Poor Law Union was formed on 30th May 1837............."

Public Records

Bangor Borough Council Records 1819-1974 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Bangor Borough Council was formed in 1883..... Bangor Burial Board had been established in 1859, and maintained the cemetery until Bangor Borough Council took over in 1899. The Bangor Water and Gas Company was founded in 1853 as the Bangor Waterworks Company and merged the following year with the Bangor Gas and Coke Company. It was bought by Bangor Local Board of Health in 1878 and run as a public utility until its functions were assumed by the new Bangor Council in 1883. In 1974, the Borough Council was abolished and became part of Arfon Borough Council."

Schools

Bangor Normal College, records  [c. 1855]-1984 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Bangor Normal College (Coleg Normal, Bangor) was a teacher training college founded in 1858 ... It developed in response to a shortage of trained teachers in Wales in the 1840s. It was created through the efforts of the British and Foreign Schools Society and Sir Hugh Owen......."

Papers relating to Administration and Estate lands of Friars' School [post 1536]-1968 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"The Bangor Old Grammar School, Bangor, commonly known as Friars' School, was established in 1557 following instructions in the will of Dr Geoffrey Glyn of Anglesey (d. 1557), a civil lawyer, which provided the site of the dissolved Dominican Friary and its lands in Bangor for a school to educate children from poor families. The Bangor Old Grammar School moved to a new site in 1900. The school is now part of Coleg Menai"

Social Life and Customs

Jones, Peter Ellis.  The urban morphology and social structure of a working class district in the mid-C19th: a case study of Hirael, Bangor, Gwynedd   (NLW's site)   Welsh History Review 15

Societies

Bangor Civic Society - site has a contents listing of all the Caernarvonshire Historical Transactions  published from  1939+

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional [ Last updated:  2 Jan 2014 -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.