Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
A Caernarfonshire Bibliography
Books of General Interest for Family Historians
It is acknowledged that the principal source of the details of books etc included
on these pages is the online catalogues of the National Library of Wales
- Eaton, Jack. Judge Bryn Roberts: a biography Cardiff 1989
- Owen-Jones, J Eryl. Caernarvonshire : a choice of celebrities : a lecture with pictorial mementoes. [Caernarfon] : J. Eryl Owen-Jones, 1993. 86p
- Gibson, J.S.W. and Medlycott, M.T. Local Census Listings 1522-1930 (2nd ed.), Birmingham, Fed. of Fam. Hist. Soc. (1994) 52 pp. [ISBN 1-872094-75-9]. Extracted are details of local censuses in Wales, listed by county
- Clarke, M L. Church Building and Church Restoration in Caernarvonshire during the Nineteenth Century, TCHS, 22, pp. 20-31. 1961
- Eglwys Bresbyteraidd Cymru/Cyfarfodydd Misol Sir Gaernarfon. The statistics of the Calvinistic Methodist Church in the County of Carnarvon for the year ending December 31st, 1905. 1907. 10 leaves
- Gray, Madeleine. The diocese of Bangor in the late sixteenth century. Journal of the Welsh Ecclesiastical History 5 (1988), p. 31-72
- Paget, Clara Lady. Some early British Churches on the north coast of Carnarvonshire. Cambridge : Printed for private circulation, 1897. 36p
- Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The CAE section of these books (in Welsh) has been extracted - some with translations
- Welsh Church Commission. The statistics of the Nonconformist churches in the County of Carnarvon [sic] for the year ending December 31st, 1905. 1907. 11 leaves
- Ifans, Dafydd [ed]. Cofrestri Anghydfurol Cymru/ Nonconformist Registers of Wales. Aberystwyth, 1994. This book includes Ordnance Survey references for listed chapels.
- Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales. Cardiff, 1976.
- MacDonald, R W. The Parish Registers of Wales, National Library of Wales journal. 1976, Winter. Volume XIX/4
- Williams, C.J. and Watts-Williams, J. Cofrestri Plwyf Cymru: Parish Registers of Wales (National Index of Parish Registers, Vol. 13).Aberystwyth: National Library of Wales, Second edition, 2000.
A description of the suspension bridge, erected over the Menai Strait which seperates Anglesey from Carnarvonshire : with calculations of its strength, and weight of materials ; designed by Thomas Telford. Bangor : Printed by P. Paul, 1846. 16p
A guide to the beauties of Anglesey and Carnarvonshire : comprehending particular notices of Beaumaris, Carnarvon, Conway, Snowdon, the Menai Suspension Bridge, Bangor, and every interesting place or object deserving the attention of the tourist. Macclesfield : J. Swinnerton, pr, [c.1830]. 69p
- Anon. Alphabetical List of Topographical Prints of Caernarvonshire in the National Library of Wales . TCHS, 12, nos. 606-641. 1951
Beauties of England & Wales; North Wales reproduced on Cd by Archive CD Books. Describes the county, its history & antiquities, and places in great detail. It also contains some exquisite engravings of towns and churches, etc.
- Beazley, Elisabeth, North Wales:Caernarvonshire, Anglesey, Denbighshire and Flintshire. Shell Guide . London : Faber & Faber 1971. 151p
- Bingley, W. A Tour Around North Wales Performed in the Year 1798. 1800
- Burgess, John. Merioneth, Caernarvon and Anglesey : a guide. Carlisle : John Burgess, 2000. 85p
- Carnarvonshire Old Turnpike Trust. An abstract account for each district, &c., of the Carnarvonshire Old Turnpike Trust. Carnarvon : Printed by Peter Evans
- Cathrall, William. A guide through North Wales; including Anglesey, Caernarvonshire, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Merionethshire, and Mongomeryshire; with the adjacent borders, completing the basin of the River Dee, and the upper basin of the Severn, as far as Shrewsbury. Designed to accompany the ordnance maps. London, E. Stanford, 1860. 334p
- Evans, Christmas J. The story of Caernarvonshire. Cardiff : Educational Publishing Co., 1910. The Welsh County series. 200p.
- Evans, John. A topographical and historical description of North Wales... Caernarvonshire. London , 1815.
- Evans, John .The beauties of England and Wales : or original delineations topographical, historical and descriptive, of each county, embellished with engravings. Vol. 17 part 1, [Cambria, Anglesea or Mona, Arfon or Caernarvonshire, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Montgomeryshire, Meirionethshire,]London : printed for J. Harris, 1812. 959p
- Griffiths, E J. Mynd a dod ar benrhyn Llyn. 1985. 28pp
- Hall, Edmund Hyde. A description of Caernarvonshire 1809-1811. Caernarvon : Caernarvonshire Historical Society, 1952. 383p
- Jennett, Sean. North Wales : Flint, Denbighshire, Caernarvonshire, Merioneth and Anglesey. London : Darton, Longman and Todd, . 121p
- Jones, W H. Old Karnarvon. 1889
- Louis, M L. A sketch of some parts of the county of Carnarvon. Llanrwst : Printed for the author by J. Jones, 1829. 34p
- Owen, Nicholas. Caernarvonshire : a sketch of its history, antiquities, mountains and productions; intended as a pocket companion to those who make the tour of that county. London : Printed for J. Debrett, 1792. 127p
- Paget, Clara Lady. Some ancient stone forts in Carnarvonshire. Cambridge : Printed for private circulation only, 1896. 31p
- Peel, J. H. B. North Wales and Anglesey. Letts motor tour guides. London : Charles Letts & Co. Ltd, 1969. 64p
Sixteen views in Carnarvonshire with descriptions. London : [published for the compiler], 1850. 14p. Dedicated to the Very Rev. James Henry Cotton, B.D., Dean of Bangor, by his attached kinsman, the compiler. Taken from Views in Wales, c.1830, by Henry Gastineau.
The stranger's guide through the most picturesque scenery of Caernarvonshire, and part of Anglesey : including a full and detailed account of the two tubular bridges, the Conway and Britannia, with directions how to proceed, at the least possible expenses and loss of time. Bangor : W. Shone, 1851. 48p
Sutton' s directory of North Wales comprising the counties of Anglesey, Carnarvon, Denbigh, Flint, Merioneth, and Montgomery, and the City of Chester. Manchester : Looney & Pilling, Letterpress and Lithographic Printers, [1890?]
- Thomas, John E. A geographical and geological description of Carnarvonshire : with special reference to its quarries, mines, and mineral products. Cardiff : D. Duncan & Sons, 1874. 77p
Victorian and Edwardian Wales from old photographs. Introduction and commentary by E D Jones. Batsford 1972. Here is a brief introduction and an index of the 154 photographs.
- Williams, William. A Survey of the Ancient and present State of the County of Caernarvon IV- Cantref Arfon, TCHS, 37, pp. 133-79. 1976
Worrall's directory of North Wales : comprising the counties of Anglesey, Carnarvon, Denbigh, Flint, Merioneth, and Montgomery, with Chester, Shrewsbury, Oswestry, and Aberystwyth. Oldham : John Worrall, 1874.
- Porter, Frank. Postal directory of Carnarvonshire and Anglesey : containing classified trade and commercial lists, alphabetically arranged. Liverpool : Rockliff Brothers, 1886.
- Sutton, Alfred. Sutton' s directory of North Wales comprising the counties of Anglesey, Carnarvon, Denbigh, Flint, Merioneth, and Montgomery, and the City of Chester. Manchester : Looney & Pilling, Letterpress and Lithographic Printers, [1890?]
- Worrall, John. Worrall's directory of North Wales : comprising the counties of Anglesey, Carnarvon, Denbigh, Flint, Merioneth, and Montgomery, with Chester, Shrewsbury, Oswestry, and Aberystwyth. Oldham : John Worrall, 1874.
Pigot's Directories 1822-3 of North Wales, South Wales and Monmouthshire
Pigot's Directory 1828/29 of North Wales
Pigot's Directory 1835 of North Wales
Pigot's Directory 1844 of North Wales
Slater's Directory 1895 of North & Mid Wales
Slaters Directory 1858-1859 of North and South Wales
- Griffith, John Edwards. Pedigrees of Anglesey and Carnarvonshire families : with their collateral branches in Denbighshire, Meirionethshire and other parts. Wrexham : Bridge Books, . 3rd ed. 410p
- Breese, Edward. Kalendars of Gwynedd : or, Chronological lists of lords-lieutenant, custodes rotulorum, sheriffs, and knights of the shire, for the counties of Anglesey, Caernarvon, and Merioneth, and of the members for the boroughs of Caernarvon and Beaumaris. To which are added lists of the lords presidents of Wales and the constables of the castles of Beaumaris, Caernarvon, Conway, and Harlech. London : J. C. Hotten, 1873. 161p
- Carr, Antony D. Madog ap Llywelyn : the revolt of 1294-5 in Caernarfonshire. Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical Society 58 (1997), p. 35-46
- Cathrall, William. The history of North Wales : comprising a topographical description of the several counties of Anglesey, Caernarvon, Denbigh, Flint, Merioneth, and Montgomery; To which is prefixed, A review of the history of Britain, from the Roman period to the Saxon heptarchy, interspersed with notes biographical and explanatory. Manchester : Printed by J. Gleave and sons, 1828. 2 vols
- Dodd, Arthur H. A history of Caernarvonshire 1284-1900. Wrexham : Bridge Books, 1990, c1968. 438p
- Evans, Christopher J. The story of Carnarvonshire. Cardiff : Educational Publishing Co., 1910. 200p
- Griffith, John Edwards. Portfolio of photographs of the cromlechs of Anglesey and Carnarvonshire : Reproduced in collotype. Bangor : Jarvis & Foster, 1900. 46p
- Hubback, David. Time and the Valley: the Past, Present and Future of the Upper Ogwen Valley 1987
- Lloyd, John E Sir. Carnarvonshire. Cambridge : University Press, 1911. 171p
- Sylvester, Dorothy. A history of Gwynedd : (Anglesey, Caernarvonshire, Merioneth). Chichester : Phillimore, 1983. 144p
- Wynne, John. Hanes Sir a Thref Caernarfon. Published by H Humphreys, Caernarfon, 1861.
- Williams, William. A vocabulary of familiar dialogues in English and Welsh : containing such questions as may be requisite to English travellers ; to which is added, a sketch of the counties of Anglesey and Carnarvon in both languages. Carnarvon : L.E. Jones, 1829. 60p
- Campbell-Jones, Susan. Welsh Sail. Gomer 1976. Here is an index by Mary Jane Stephenson
- Bransby, James H. An account of the disastrous wreck of the Newry on the Carnarvonshire coast : during the night of Friday, April 16, 1830, in a letter to a friend. London : Simpkin & Marshall, 1838. 22p
- Eames, Aled. Sea power and Sir Caernarfon, 1642-1660. Maritime Wales 22 (2001), p. 36-54
- Heaton , P.M. Welsh Shipping - Forgotten Fleets, 1989. Biographical details restricted mainly to owners & managers, and details of ships owned. Here is an index by David Webb
- Skidmore, Ian. Anglesey & Lleyn shipwrecks. Swansea : Christopher Davies, 1992. 168p
- Freeman, Benson F M. Historical records of the Denbighshire Hussars Imperial Yeomanry from their formation in 1795 till 1906 : with notes on the Flintshire, Royal Maylor and Carnarvonshire Yeomanry Corps, and the Ancient British Fencible Cavalry. Wrexham : Woodall, Minshall, Thomas and Co., 1909.246p
- Owen, Bryn. The history of the Welsh Militia and Volunteer Corps 1757-1908. 1, ; Anglesey & Caernarfonshire. Caernarfon : Palace Books, 1989. 245p
- Retallack, John . The Welsh Guards Foreword by H R H The Prince if Wales.Published (1981) by Frederick Warne (Publishers) Ltd. London. Here is an index by Allen Powell
Roll of casualties reported to the Anglesey and Carnarvonshire Territorial Force Associations, up to 31st October, 1915. Carnarvon : Printed by W. Gwenlyn Evans and Son, [1915?]. 16p
- Wilson, H L. Four years : the story of the 5th (Caernarvonshire) Bn Home Guard. 1945
- Lloyd-Jones, J. Enwau Lleoedd Sir Gaernarfon. Cardiff, GPC, 1928
- Boyd, James I C. Narrow gauge railways in South Caernarvonshire. Vol.1, ; The Embankment Tramway, The Gorseddau Tramway, The Festiniog & Blaenau Railway, The Merionethshire Railway, The Croesor Tramway, The Bettws-y-Coed & Festiniog Railway, The North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways and The Porthmadoc Beddgelert & South Snowdon Railway . Headington, Oxford : Oakwood Press, 1988. 310p
- Boyd, James I C. Narrow gauge railways in North Caernarvonshire. Vol. 2, ; The Penrhyn Quarry Railway. Oxford : Oakwood Press, 1985. 162p
- Boyd, James I C. Narrow gauge railways in North Caernarvonshire. Vol.3, ; The Dinorwic quarry and railways, Great Orme tramway and other rail systems. Oxford : Oakwood Press, 1986. 226p
- Colyer, Richard. The Welsh Cattle Drovers (1976). Here is a contents listing/introduction and an index by Catherine Davies-Shiel. Re-issued in 2002 by Landmark Publishing Co, with revisions, now p192.
Colyer, Richard. Welsh Cattle Drovers in the Nineteenth Century - 1/2/3 National Library of Wales journal. 1972, Winter Volume XVII/4 & 1974 Volume XVIII/3 & 1975 Volume XIX/1
Colyer, R. J. Moore. Further References to the Welsh Cattle Trade. National Library of Wales journal. Volume XXV/3 Summer, 1988. Extract of this article by Bill Griffith-Jones 2002
- Davies, Walter ( Gwallter Mechain). General view of the agriculture and domestic economy of North Wales : containing the counties of Anglesey, Caernarvon, Denbigh, Flint, Meirionydd, Montgomery. Drawn up and published by order of the Board of Agriculture and Internal Improvement. London : Printed for Richard Phillips; sold by Poole & Broster, Chester; Painter, Wrexham; Eddowes & Wood, Shrewsbury; and by all other booksellers; by B. McMillan, 1810. 510p
- Dodd, A H. The Industrial Revolution in North Wales. 1993
Farming in Caernarvonshire around 1800 : being Vaynol MS. 4057, with maps from Vaynol MSS. 4055 and 4056, Caernarvonshire Record Office. Caernarvon : Caernarvonshire Record Office, 1973. 91p
- Foster-Smith, J R. The Mines of Anglesey and Caernarvonshire. 1977
- Jones, Eric. 'On active service' : the war diary of a Caernarfonshire quarryman. Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical 52/53 (1991/92), p. 87-102
- Jones, R Merfyn. The North Wales Quarrymen, 1874-1922 UWP 1981
- Jones, Peter E. Migration and the slate belt of Caernarfonshire in the nineteenth century. (NLW's site) Welsh History Review 14 (1989), p. 610-29
- Kay, G. General View of the Agriculture of Caernarfonshire. 1794
- Lindsay, J. A History of the North Wales Slate Industry. 1974
- Richards, A J. A Gazetteer of the Welsh Slate Industry. 1991
- Roberts, R O. Farming in Caernarvonshire around 1800. 1973
The slate quarries of North Wales in 1873 : a series of letters by a special correspondent of the Caernarvon and Denbigh Herald. Maentwrog : Snowdonia National Park Study Centre, 1987. 100p
- Williams, D. An eye-witness account of agrarian conditions in Caernarvonshire during the Napoleonic era, TCHS, 72-84. 1941
- Caernarvonshire Historical Society. Caernarvon court rolls, 1361-1402. Caernarvon [Wales] : Gwenlyn Evans, 1951.192p
Calendar of the Caernarvonshire Quarter Sessions records. Caernarfon] : Caernarvonshire Historical Society, 1956. 385p
- Gruenfelder, J K. The Wynns of Gwydir and Parliamentary elections in Wales, 1604-40 (NLW's site) Welsh History Review 9
- Jones, John G. Law, order and government in Caernarfonshire, 1558-1640 : justices of the peace and the gentry. Cardiff : University of Wales Press, 1996. 240p
- Jones, J Gwynfor. Caernarvonshire Administration: the Activities of the Justices of the Peace, 1603-1660 (NLW's site) Welsh History Review 5
- Jones, Peter E. The women's suffrage movement in Caernarfonshire. Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical 48 (1987), p. 75-112
The Sheriffs of Carnarvonshire and Merionethshire : Carnarvon municipal affairs; penalties against bribery, corruption, intimidation, or coercion, at municipal elections. Carnarvon : Printed by Josiah Thomas Jones, [18--?] 12p
Report of the proceedings of the fifteenth annual Poor Law Conference for the North Wales District, comprising Flint, Denbigh, Carnarvon, Anglesey, Montgomery, and Merioneth, held at Wrexham ... 20th and 21st September 1899. London : P.S. King and Son, 1899.
- Badger, A B. Report on technical education for Carnarvonshire. Carnarvon : Printed at the Cambrian Works, [1895?] 67p
Carnarvonshire Education Committee Handbook. Carnarvon : Printed by W. Gwenlyn Evans, [1908?] 100p
- Davies, J Ifor. The Caernarvon County School : a history. Caernarfon : Gwynedd Archives and Museums Service, Gwynedd County Council, c1989. 560p
- Fletcher, Allan. Carnarvonshire and the Education Act of 1870. Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical Society 61 (2000), p. 59-76
- Lindsay, Jean. The impact of World War I on education in Caernarfonshire. Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical 54 (1993), p. 79-90
- Smith, James C. Report on the organization of education in Carnarvonshire. Carnarvon : W. Gwenlyn Evans, pr, [1911?]. 124p
- Thomas, Jennie. Caernarvonshire schools : second language survey presented to the local education authority, November 1948.Caernarfon : Printed by Gwenlyn Evans & Son, 1948.
- Williams, H G. The school board movement in Caernarfonshire, 1870-80. Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical 50 (1989), p. 11-35
- Williams, H G. A study of the Kynnersley educational returns for Caernarfonshire (NLW's site) Welsh History Review 13 (1987), p. 299-327
- Carr, Antony D. The Black Death in Caernarfonshire. Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical Society 61 (2000), p. 7-22
Endowed charities (County of Carnarvon) : return to an order of the ... House of Commons ... London : H.M.S.O., 1898. 600p
- Jones, G Penrhyn. Cholera in Wales. National Library of Wales journal Vol X/3 Summer 1958.
- Jones, O V. The progress of medicine: a history of the Caernarfon and Anglesey Infirmary, 1809-1948. 1984. 313pp
- Peate, Iorwerth C. The Welsh House A Study in Folk Culture First published in 1940, reprinted by Llanerch Publishers, Felinfach in 2000. ISBN 1 86143 112 0. Here is a review and listing of Contents, Illustrations, Figures and houses/sites mentioned, from the 1940 edition.
- Roberts, Glynne. 'Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted' : preventing the spread of smallpox and cholera in Caernarfonshire, 1870-1910. Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical 55 (1994), p. 109-28
Rules of the Carnavonshire and Anglesey Infirmary and Dispensary at Bangor : revised corrected and settled at a special meeting of governors held 20th January, 1893. Bangor : J. R. Brown, 1893. 25p
- Scourfield , Elfyn . Welsh Rural Life in Photographs. Barry, 1979. Here is an index by Jill Smith