Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Boduan / Bodfuan
"BODVEAN, (or Bodvean-in-lleyn), a parish in the hundred of Dinlaen, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 1 mile to the S. of Nevin. It is situated near the hill called Corn Bodvean. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor, of the value of £198, in the patronage of the bishop of the diocese. The church, a modern structure, is dedicated to St. Buan, and contains some monuments to the Wynne family. Here is a chapel for Calvinistic Methodists; also a small free school, with an endowment of £3 a year. Bodvean Hall, the old seat of the Wynnes, is now the residence of Lord Newborough." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Ty Cerrig, Boduan Shop Accounts 1829 - 1848 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"....Evidently, the general store supplied a variety of goods, ranging from candles, tobacco and soap to flour, butter and tea"
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Bodvean Parish; Statistics; Area 2572 acres; Population 208 males, 210 females, total 418
- Bodfean Parish Church Attendance - numbers declined to be given in a lengthy statement by Thomas Lloyd Owen, Rector Services in Welsh
- Bodvean Chapel, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1827 Attendance - morning 102 scholars, afternoon 214, evening 214 Robert Roberts, Deacon
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Boduan churchyard - some inscriptions on Alwyn's Godsacre site
Capel Boduan (CM), records 1840-1905 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Boduan Calvinistic Methodist Chapel is located on the Llyn peninsula. The first chapel here was built around 1827 and at that time there were 30 members. By 1844 the number of members had increased to 63 and the names of the officers were John Roberts, John Williams, Robert Roberts and Maurice Roberts....."
You can see pictures of Boduan / Bodfuan which are provided by:
BODVAEN (BOD -VUAN, or BOD - VUAN in LLEYN), a parish in the hundred of DINLLAEN, Lleyn division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (W. N. W.) from Pwllheli, containing 378 inhabitants. This small parish is situated in a very extensive plain, near the base of Carn Bodvan, and abounds with fossils, of which great quantities, chiefly oyster and muscle shells, are found imbedded in a soft lime-stone rock, near the church, and in a very perfect state. Bodvaen Hall, now the property and occasional residence of Lord Newborough, is a handsome mansion, occupying a pleasant situation within its limits. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £ 6. 6. 8., endowed with £ 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Buan, a handsome modern edifice in the Grecian style of architecture, was erected in 1765, at the expense of the Misses Catherine and Elizabeth Wynne, of Bodvaen Hall, and contains some good monuments to different members of that family. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists.
William Lloyd, Esq., in 1784, bequeathed £ 100 for educating poor children of the parish, of whom twenty-five are gratuitously instructed from this fund during the summer months. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 94. 6. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH325377 (Lat/Lon: 52.910531, -4.492389), Boduan / Bodfuan which are provided by: