BOTTWNOG (BOD-WYNNOG), a parish in the hundred of GAFLOGION, Lleyn division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 8 miles (W. S. W.) from Pwllheli, containing 179 inhabitants. The village is, situated in an extensive plain, but neither it nor the surrounding district possesses features worthy of particular notice.
The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the, rectory of Meylltyrn, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Beuno, is a small edifice, in a very dilapidated state. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists.
The grammar school was founded in 1616, by Dr. Henry Rowlands, Bishop of Bangor, who endowed it with a farm, called Llyslew, at Porthamel, in the county of Anglesey, now producing £200 per annum, of which sum £ 100 per annum is paid to the master (who, according to the Will of the founder, must be an English man, and have taken the degree of master of arts at the University of Oxford), and £40 per annum to an usher, and £ 10 is allowed annually for coal; the remainder has been suffered to accumulate, and at present amounts to £ 550. There are fifty-four boys on the foundation, who are instructed in the general branches of an English education, and in the classics, when required. An excellent house was built in 1817, as a residence for the master, and the school-room and house for the usher are in very good repair. Bishop Rowlands also bequeathed to the Principal and Fellows of Jesus' College, Oxford, all his lands in Erianell, in the county of Anglesey, for the foundation of two fellowships in that college, one fellow to be from the school of Bottwnog, and one from that of Bangor, or of Beaumaris ; and he charged his estate of Tyddyn y ddreinioes with the payment of £ 6 per annum for two poor boys in the school of Bottwnog. The average annual expenditure to support the poor is £35. 7.