GENUKI Home page

Bryncroes Bryncroes     Contents Contents

Bryncroes


National Gazetteer (1868)

"BRYNCROES, a parish in the hundred of Commitmaen, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 10 miles to the S.W. of Pwllheli. It lies near the extremity of the peninsula forming the N. boundary of Cardigan Bay, on the banks of the small river Sochan. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bangor, value 107, in the gift of C. W. G. Wynne, Esq. There are charitable endowments for the poor, worth 18 a year."

"MYNYDD, a parcel in the parish of Bryncroes, county Carnarvon, 9 miles W. by S. of Pwllheli."

"RHOS, a parcel in the parish of Bryncroes, county Carnarvon, 7 miles S.W. of Nevin."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

BRYNCROES (BRYN - CROES), a parish partly in the hundred of GAFLOGION, but principally in that of COMMITMAEN, Lleyn division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 11 miles (W. by S.) from Pwllheli, containing 910 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated on the river Sochan: the parish, which is entirely agricultural, contains about three thousand acres of land, the whole of which is enclosed.

The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, endowed with a rent-charge of 7 private benefaction, 600 royal bounty, and 1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of C. G. Wynne, Esq. The church is a small edifice in good repair, and is appropriately fitted up for the accommodation of the parishioners. A tenement in this parish was left some years ago, the rental of which, now about 7, is appropriated towards the support of a master for teaching poor children to read Welsh : there is no school-room, and the children, now twenty in number, are taught in the church. The rent of another tenement, amounting to 9 per annum, is paid to a schoolmaster, who keeps a school here, every fourth year, in turn with Aberdaron, Rhiw, and Llanvaelrhys. An ancient chapel, called Ty Vair, or " St. Mary's Chapel," formerly stood near the church; in the vicinity of which also are Fynnon Vair, " St. Mary's Well," and Cae Vair, " St. Mary's Field." A kistvaen, Or stone coffin, in which was an urn containing burnt bones and ashes, was discovered, some years ago, on the grounds of Ty Mawr, in this parish ; and near a house called Monachty there was formerly a cromlech. The average annual expenditure for the support of, the poor is 362. 18.

(Copied using  the original books AND the Cd published by Archive CD Books


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 5 June 2005  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI