|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"CAERHUN, (or Caerhen), a parish in the hundred of Isaf, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 4 miles to the S. of Conway. Llanrwst is its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Conway, and extends over an area of 13,402 acres. It was the site of the Roman station Conovium, the foundations of which are still traceable. Many interesting Roman remains have been found, among which is a brick inscribed "Leg. X." In 1801 a villa was discovered, and in 1824 a pottery with good specimens of highly ornamented ware. Traces of copper and manganese have been found in this parish. The living is a rectory united with that of Llanbedr, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and stands in a pretty spot near Caerrhun Hall. There are several chapels for Dissenters in the parish. The charitable endowments are worth £5 a year. Caerrhun Hall is the chief residence." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] * See also a post script on the separate National Gazetteer page linked below under Gazetteers
Brown, Margaret E. Williams family of Caerhun, Conwy. Gwreiddiau Gwynedd / Gwynedd Roots. 38 (2000), p. 27-32
Humphreys, G A. Caerhun Hall and the Roman station of Conovium. [Llanfairfechan : W.E. Owen], 1911. 34p
Reynolds, Paul K B. Excavations on the site of the Roman fort of Kanovium at Caerhun, Caernarvonshire : Collected reports of the excavations of the years 1926-1929 and on the pottery and other objects found. Cardiff : W. Lewis, 1938.
St Mary - on wikipedia
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Roe Wen chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Feb 2010)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Caerhun Parish; Statistics: Area 13402 acres; Population 624 males, 629 females, total 1253
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Gaianydd Papers - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Includes; 'The Book of Accounts of the Church Wardens of the parish of Caerhun, 1786'; 'Parish of Caerhun Vestry Book, 1852'..."
Artefacts from the Roman fort of Canovium, Caerhun - on the People's Collection Wales site
Kanovium Project - Caerhun Roman Fort
Caerhun Standing Stones - on the Modern Antiquarian site
Caerhun - on wicipedia (Welsh)
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996