We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Caernarfon / Caernarvon

"CARNARVON, (or Caernarvon), a market town, port, municipal and parliamentary borough, in the parish of Llanbeblig, hundred of Is-Gorfai, in the county of Carnarvon, of which it is the chief town. It is 235 miles to the N.W. of London by road, or 240 miles by railway. It is a post town, and is now connected with the Chester and Holyhead, and with the London and North-Western railways, by a branch line of about 9 miles from Bangor. Carnarvon is pleasantly situated on the E. side of the Menai Strait, where the river Seiont falls into it. Close by is the site of the Roman station Segontium, the most important in North Wales, and which was also named Caer Custeint, or "fort of Constantine," and Caer-yn-Arvon, from its situation opposite to Mona, the Isle of Anglesey. Watling Street connected Segontium with Deva (Chester)." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Archives and Libraries

Caernarfon Library Collection 1822-1988 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Caernarfon Town Library was opened in 1884 by the Borough of Caernarfon ........"

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Evan Jones & Son, Caernarfon, records 1869-1957 
    "The firm (Evan Jones a'i Fab) was an ironmongers, motor engineers and cycle agent, based in Caernarfon. Evan Jones also had business premises at Ebeneser and Penygroes, Caernarfonshire..."
  • Griffith Jones, Solicitor, Caernarfon, papers 1822-1947
    "The firm was primarily concerned with conveyancing, mortgages and leases, dealing with properties in Caernarfonshire and Anglesey...."
  • Poole, solicitors, of Caernarfon, papers 1521-1936
    "The firm of Messrs Poole, solicitors, was based in Caernarfon.It was established by Richard Poole (fl. 1771-1812) of Beaumaris, Anglesey......."


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Caernarfon / Caernarvon area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Caernarfon   chapel (in Welsh )  - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (March 2010)              Also Salem chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (June 2010)

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Records from the Calvinistic Methodist Bookroom, Caernarvon 1837-1977      "The Connexion as a whole met as a General Assembly. Caernarfon lay within the Arfon Prebsytery, and was the base of the Calvinistic Methodist Book Agency, printers and book distributors, and the Calvinistic Methodist Bookroom (Llyfrfa Methodistiaid). The Bookroom became the place of deposits for many papers relating to Calvinistic Methodism, including both church records and private papers ........"
  • Castle Square Presbyterian Church, Caernarfon, records 1844-1983    "..........built in c. 1882. It was a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, later known as the Presbyterian Church of Wales.....
  • Moriah Chapel (CM), Caernarfon, records  1800-1976
  • John Williams, Solicitor, Caernarfon Archive
    "Including; St. Mary's Church, Caernarfon papers, 1784-1831; Caernarfon Church Guild general administration and financial records, 1902-1911; Christchurch Sunday School, Caernarfon 1894-1904....."

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Caernarfon / Caernarvon which are provided by:

A Castle Wales site -  Caernarfon Castle

Welcome to Caernarfon

Caernarfon online

People's Collection Wales site - Caernarfon Castle

Caernarfon - on Wikipedia

Aerial photographs of Caernarfon - on the webb aviation site



Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
  • Owen, Evan, confectioner, of Caernarfon, family correspondence 1890-1964 
  • Papers of the Thomas Family, People's Café, Caernarfon [ c. 1730]-1971
    "Robert Thomas ([1842]-1906) was the son of John Thomas, a sailor. He himself was for many years a ship's carpenter. He married Margaret Ann Pritchard and returned to live in Caernarfon, working as a builder. The family lived at the People's Café, Castle Square, Caernarfon....."
  • Trevor Roberts, Solicitors: Jones, John, papers 1813-1951
    "John Jones (fl. 1876-1899), of Minafon, North Road, Caernarfon, was a wine and spirit merchant...."

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Caernarfon / Caernarvon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Carnarvon Traders -  this most useful site by Keith Morris contains complete transcriptions of the Caernarfon sections of over 20 Trade Directories dating from 1791 to 1948; full transcriptions of the 1794 Caernarfon Town Census and the 1841 Borough Election Canvass Book; and other miscellaneous items including a biographies section.

Jones, G. O., papurau (papers) 1842-1982  - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"G. O. Jones of Ael-y-Garth, Caernarfon  was the headmaster of Caernarfon Free School and of Maesincla Junior School, Caernarfon. He also researched the history of Caernarfon and churches in the parish of Llanbeblig, most notably St Mary's Church and Christ Church. He wrote pamphlets on their histories..........."


Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH479628 (Lat/Lon: 53.140567, -4.275417), Caernarfon / Caernarvon which are provided by:

Merchant Marine

Caernarfon Harbour Trust

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Caernarfon Harbour Trust Records [ c. 1682]-1983 
    "The Caernarfon Harbour Trust was established in 1793 and is the authority responsible for the control of navigation and the provision and maintenance of navigational aids in the area from Britannia Bridge to Caernarfon Bay......"
  • Caernarfon Royal Naval Reserve & Coastguard Records 1856-1907 
    "....... the Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) was formed in 1859, organised into units known as batteries. It comprised merchant seamen, both officers and ratings, and fishermen; it was later supplemented by retired naval seamen. The Coastguard Service was formed in 1822 and administered by the Admiralty from 1856 to 1923"
  • H.M. Customs and Excise Records 1793-1984   "HM Customs and Excise are responsible for the collection of duties payable to the Crown, on the import and export of goods and on their manufacture....."
  • Papers of Captain John Hughes, Brigydon, East Twthill, Caernarfon 1868-1939   "...he was master of the barques Altair and the Inverness during the early 20th century. The Inverness was lost while on a voyage to New Zealand in 1918, but Captain Hughes was absolved of blame. Following the incident he became master of several other vessels, including the S. S. Ravenspoint. He had a son, Jack Hughes, who was also a Captain"
  • Papers of Captain William Jones of the Albion Inn, Chapel Street, Caernarfon, later of the Castle Hotel, High Street, Pwllheli 1842-1905   "....he served on a number of ships including William Henry of Carenarfon, Telegraph of London, Lizzie Hobley of Liverpool, and Boaz of Caernarfon, between 1869 and 1875. Jones owned the Albion Inn, Caernarfon and, from 1887, the Castle Hotel, later the Castle Inn, Pwllheli ..."
  • Captain Thomas Papers 1757-1971   "Captain T. Rees Thomas (fl. 1921-1959) was Harbour Master of Caernarfon Harbour...."
  • Trevor Roberts, Solicitors: Caernarfon Harbour Trust records 1723-1949
    "The Caernarfon Harbour Trust was established in 1793 and is the authority responsible for the control of navigation and the provision and maintenance of navigational aids in the area from Britannia Bridge to Caernarfon Bay. It is also the competent Harbour Authority responsible for the provision of pilotage throughout the Menai Strait......"


A List of Trades - on the Carnarvon Traders site. A database of tradespeople extracted from directories published from 1791 through to 1965

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Carnarvon Workhouse - on Peter Higginbotham's site

Caernarvon Union records - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Include ; Records of the Caernarvon Union, 1842-1946, comprising records of the Clerk to the Guardians, 1881-1931; Workhouse Master's records, 1842-1946; Relieving Officer's records, 1887-1940; records relating to births, marriages and deaths, 1871-1941 etc etc...."

Probate Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
  • Miscellaneous papers in Caernarfon Probate Office 1709-1954
    "Caernarfon Probate Office was established in 1858, taking over responsibility for the proving of wills from the Diocese of Bangor..............."

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
  • Records and Papers of the Borough of Caernarfon 1468-1974
    "The Borough of Caernarfon was awarded its Charter of Incorporation by Edward I in 1284, following his conquest of Gwynedd................"
  • Trevor Roberts, Solicitors: Shrievalty records 1913-1914
    "Trevor Roberts (alive 1913-1946), Solicitor, of Caernarfon, was appointed Under-Sheriff of the county of Caernarfonshire in 1913...."

Social life and Customs

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Caernarfon Town Football Club, papers 1945-1962 
    "The first organised football team in Caernarfon was the Carnarvon Athletic Club, founded in 1876. The present Caernarfon Town Football Club (Clwb Pel-Droed Tref Caernarfon) ('The Canaries') was founded in 1937....."
  • Caernarvon Liberal Club records and collection of Caernarfon papers 1782-1951 (accumulated [1888]-[1951])
    "Caernarfon Liberal Club was established by 1888...."