Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Carngiwch Parish; Statistics; Area 1344 acres; Population 52 males, 62 females, total 114
Chapelry of St Bruno Attendance - no service "The Chapelry is in a mountainous district amidst a thinly scattered population. When the weather is inclement there is no attendance, or but a very thin one, at Church. It is impossible to give exact information. The people follow Dissent. ..............." Wm Jones, The present officiating minister (Church partially rebuilt in 1828 - Lewis 1849)
"CARNGIWCH (CARN-GIWG), a parish in the hundred of GAFLOGION, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 5 miles (N.) from Pwllheli, on the road from Carnarvon, containing 117 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated near the river Erch, takes its name from a lofty conical hill, called Moel Carn Giwch, on the summit of which is a vast heap of loose stones, generally thought to be a carnedd, but said by popular tradition to have been thrown down by a giantess, who carried them thither in her apron. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Edern, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Ciwg, or St.Beuno, and in which divine service is performed only every third Sunday, is a small neat edifice, rebuilt, with the exception of the east end, in 1828. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £48. 8. " A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833
You can see the administrative areas in which Carnguwch has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.