|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"CARNGIWCH, a parish in the hundred of Gafflogian, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 4 miles to the N. of Pwllhelî, its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Erch. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Edern, in the diocese of Bangor, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Ciwg." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Carngiwch Parish; Statistics; Area 1344 acres; Population 52 males, 62 females, total 114
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
"CARNGIWCH (CARN-GIWG), a parish in the hundred of GAFLOGION, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 5 miles (N.) from Pwllheli, on the road from Carnarvon, containing 117 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated near the river Erch, takes its name from a lofty conical hill, called Moel Carn Giwch, on the summit of which is a vast heap of loose stones, generally thought to be a carnedd, but said by popular tradition to have been thrown down by a giantess, who carried them thither in her apron. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Edern, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Ciwg, or St.Beuno, and in which divine service is performed only every third Sunday, is a small neat edifice, rebuilt, with the exception of the east end, in 1828. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £48. 8. " A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996