GENUKI Home page

Caernarvonshire Caernarvonshire    Parish Index Towns & Parishes    Contents Contents

CEIDIO

"CEIDIO, a parish in the hundred of Dinlaen, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 5 miles W. of Pwllheli, its post town, and 2 from Nevin. The Crewe section of the London and North-Western railway has a station at Bangor, 28 miles distant. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bangor, value 85, in the patronage of T. P. J. Parry, Esq. The charities produce 4 per annum." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Ceidio's Church

St Ceidio Church - on geograph.org

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Ceidio chapel (in Welsh )  - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (March 2011)

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Ceidio Parish; Statistics; Area 1081 acres; Population 83 males, 77 females, total 160

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.

Gazetteers

CEIDIO, a parish in the hundred of DINLLAEN, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES; 6 miles (W.N. W) from Pwllheli, containing 135 inhabitants. The soil on the higher grounds is sandy, and the lower grounds are composed chiefly of turbaries. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, endowed with 200 private benefaction, 1400 royal bounty, and 600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of T. P. Jones Parry, Esq. Previously to the above endowments, the minister's stipend was only 5 per annum, which small sum was the bequest of Owen Hughes, of Madryn, Esq. The, church, dedicated to St. Ceidio, and situated on an eminence, is a small neat building, kept in excellent repair. A singular custom of dispensing altogether with the appointment of churchwardens prevails in this parish. An average annual expenditure amounting to 82 is applied for the support of the poor. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional [Last updated: 14 Nov 2011 -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.