|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"CLYNNOG VAWR, a parish in the hundred of Uwch Gorfai, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 9 miles S.W. of Carnarvon, its post town and railway station. This pretty little village is situated about 10 miles from the foot of the Rivals, near the sea-shore. Its church, as Pennant truly remarks, is the most remarkable structure of its kind in North Wales. It is built in the form of a cross, and is a fine specimen of the late perpendicular style of Henry VII. Its length from E. to W. is 130 feet, and its breadth, from N. to S., 70. It consists of a nave, transept, and chancel, with a tower, and at the western end a porch surmounted by a muniment room, and a sacristy, also surmounted by a room. The church contains tombs of the Glynne and Twisleton families, and a curious oak chest, carved out of a solid tree, which was once used for the reception of offerings to St. Bino, or Beuno, to whom the church is dedicated, and who is supposed to have founded an abbey in 616." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
De Hirsch-Davies, John E. History and antiquities of Clynnog. Bangor : Caxton Press, pr.,  24p
Kelly, Richard S. The excavation of a burnt mound at Graeanog, Clynnog, Gwynedd, in 1983. Archaeologia Cambrensis 141 (1992), p. 74-96
Thomas, W Gwyn. An early Christian monument in Caernarvonshire [Clynnog Fawr]. Archaeologia Cambrensis 141 (1992), p. 183
The Penllyn site - Church of St Bueno, Clynnog Fawr
Ebenezer Chapel, Clynnog-fawr - see below under Land and Property
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Pantglas chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Clynnog Parish; Statistics; Area 12060 acres; Population 796 males, 854 females, total 1650
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Tombstone Epitaphs c. 1904 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Epitaphs on tombstones collected by Urias Stephen from cemeteries in Llanwnda, Llanllyfni, Llandwrog, Brynaerau and Clynnog, Caernarfonshire"
Clynnog Fawr - on the Nantlle.com site (Welsh version)
Clynnog Fawr on Wikipedia and wicipedia (Welsh)
People's Collection Wales site - Reconstruction of a settlement at Cefn Graeanog, Clynnog Fawr in 4th century AD
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996