We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"CONWAY, (or Conwy), a parish, market town, municipal and parliamentary borough, in the hundred of Isaf, and county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 22 miles N.E. of Carnarvon, and 323 N.W. of London by road, or 233¼ miles by the North-Western and Chester and Holyhead railways. It is situated on the left bank near the mouth of the river Conway, hence called by the Welsh, Aber-Conway. The town is supposed by some antiquarians to occupy the site of the Roman station Conovium, and many antiquities have been found in the vicinity; but it is more probable that Caer-Rhun, a small village 5 miles higher up the river, was the ancient Conovium." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Archives and Libraries

Conwy Library collection - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Collection of Conwy Library 1875-1980, including newspapers, 1891-1896; records relating to the Conway School Board Controversy, 1877-1895; Medical Officer of Health reports, 1895-1907; Conwy rates, 1928; records relating to Conwy mills, including Gyffin Mill, 1962; records relating to the proposed demolition of Telford's Suspension Bridge, 1965 etc ...."


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Conway area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Conwy  chapel (in Welsh ) - with a translation by Eleri Rowlands (April 2011)

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Conway Parish and Borough; Statistics; Area 2437 acres; Population 730 males, 798 females, total 1528

  • Conway Parish Church                     Attendance - morning 98 + 114 scholars, afternoon 52             Services in Welsh and English              Morgan Morgan, Vicar
  • Carmel, Calvinistic Methodist            Erected 1828        Attendance - morning 175, afternoon 174 scholars, evening 275                John Williams, Deacon, Cyffredin, nr Conway
  • Sion Chapel, Independent             Erected 1824          Attendance - morning 60 scholars, afternoon 150, evening 130                 Henry Edwards, Deacon, Grossfford Bodidda, nr Conway
  • Tabernacle, Chapel St, Wesleyan Methodist                Erected 1826            Attendance - morning 88 inc 40 scholars, afternoon 195 scholars, evening 250 inc 180 scholars          William Bridge, Class Leader, Bookseller
  • Mount Chapel Chapel, Particular Baptists      Erected 1850        Attendance- morning 6 scholars, afternoon 33, evening 25          John Jones, Baptist Preacher

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.

Dyffryn Conwy Wesleyan Methodist Circuit records (Cofnodion Cylchdaith Wesleiaidd Methodistiadd Dyffryn Conwy) 1852-2001   - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"The Welsh Methodist Society met in Ruthin in 1800, and the first Welsh language Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was opened in 1802. In 1802, the North Wales District was formed ........ churches were established throughout the area, organised into circuits ....... The Dyffryn Conwy Wesleyan Methodist Circuit covered Conway, Llandudno, Penmachno and Llanrwst."

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Conway which are provided by:


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Conway has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH781775 (Lat/Lon: 53.280408, -3.829817), Conway which are provided by:

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Conway workhouse - on Peter Higginbotham's site Conway Union Poor Law records  1837-1959 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Conway Poor Law Union was formed on 11th April 1837. The Board of Guardians, 15 in number, represented its 15 constituent parishes across Caernarfonshire ..... "

See below for further Poor Law material

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
  • Conway Borough and Conwy Urban District Council Records [mid 17th century]-1974 
    "The castle and town of Conway was founded in 1283 by Edward I. The Borough was granted charters by Edward III in 1331 and Elizabeth I in 1561. It was administered by a Corporation consisting of a mayor, aldermen and the borough's burgesses ............"
  • Conwy Community Councils records 1331-1983 (accumulated 1977-1983)
    "From the late 19th century, civil parish councils formed the lowest tier of administration in areas covered by Rural District Councils. In 1974, Local Government re-organisation in Wales led to the renaming of Civil Parishes as Communities, and the creation of Community Councils in urban areas........"
  • Conwy (Conway) Borough and Parish Records 1570-1949
    "The collection consists of Poor Law records (1745-1783) and ...... borough and parish administrative material (1570-1786) ..................."


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
  • Conwy School Boards (Byrddau Ysgol Conwy) records 1873-1903
    "School Boards were reponsible for providing schools for a parish or group of parishes, following the Education Act 1872..."
  • Conwy Schools (Ysgolion Conwy) records 1838-1998
    "The school records typically comprise log books, attendance registers, and Local Management Committee minutes and papers...."
  • List of Conwy School Children    
    "A list of burgesses' children entered to Joseph Sheldon, schoolmaster, 2 November 1760 and November 1761-November 1762."