GENUKI Home page

Caernarvonshire Caernarvonshire    Parish Index Towns & Parishes    Contents Contents

CONWAY

"CONWAY, (or Conwy), a parish, market town, municipal and parliamentary borough, in the hundred of Isaf, and county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 22 miles N.E. of Carnarvon, and 323 N.W. of London by road, or 233 miles by the North-Western and Chester and Holyhead railways. It is situated on the left bank near the mouth of the river Conway, hence called by the Welsh, Aber-Conway. The town is supposed by some antiquarians to occupy the site of the Roman station Conovium, and many antiquities have been found in the vicinity; but it is more probable that Caer-Rhun, a small village 5 miles higher up the river, was the ancient Conovium." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Archives and Libraries

Conwy Library collection - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Collection of Conwy Library 1875-1980, including newspapers, 1891-1896; records relating to the Conway School Board Controversy, 1877-1895; Medical Officer of Health reports, 1895-1907; Conwy rates, 1928; records relating to Conwy mills, including Gyffin Mill, 1962; records relating to the proposed demolition of Telford's Suspension Bridge, 1965 etc ...."

Bibliography

See separate page

Cemeteries

On Caryl Williams's site - Memorial Inscriptions from the St Mary's Parish Church Conwy

Church History

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Conwy  chapel (in Welsh ) - with a translation by Eleri Rowlands (April 2011)

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Conway Parish and Borough; Statistics; Area 2437 acres; Population 730 males, 798 females, total 1528

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.

Dyffryn Conwy Wesleyan Methodist Circuit records (Cofnodion Cylchdaith Wesleiaidd Methodistiadd Dyffryn Conwy) 1852-2001   - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"The Welsh Methodist Society met in Ruthin in 1800, and the first Welsh language Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was opened in 1802. In 1802, the North Wales District was formed ........ churches were established throughout the area, organised into circuits ....... The Dyffryn Conwy Wesleyan Methodist Circuit covered Conway, Llandudno, Penmachno and Llanrwst."

Description and Travel

County Borough of Conwy

Welcome to Conwy

A Castle Wales site - Conwy Castle  &  Conwy's Town Walls

National Trust site - Conwy Suspension Bridge

The Town Walls of Conwy

Royal Cambrian Academy, Conwy

Gazetteers

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Conway workhouse - on Peter Higginbotham's site

Conway Union Poor Law records  1837-1959 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Conway Poor Law Union was formed on 11th April 1837. The Board of Guardians, 15 in number, represented its 15 constituent parishes across Caernarfonshire ..... "

See below for further Poor Law material

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Schools

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional [Last updated: 16 June 2011 -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI