GENUKI Home page

Caernarvonshire Caernarvonshire    Parish Index Towns & Parishes    Contents Contents

DENIO

"DENIO, a parish in the hundred of Gafflogian, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 1 mile from Pwllheli. The living is a curacy* annexed to the vicarage* of Llannor. The church is dedicated to St. Benno. The charities amount to 65 per annum, 40 of which goes to Vaughan's grammar school." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Bibliography

Parry, A Ivor. Election of guardians for the parish of Denio, 1907 = etholiad gwarcheidwaid dros blwyf Denio. Pwllheli : W. Llewelyn Ellis, [1907?]

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of ;

DENIO, St. Denio 1858-1860   - on the Church plans online site

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Pwllheli chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (June 2013)

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Pwllheli Borough in Denio Parish; Statistics; Area 1278 acres; Population 1063 males, 1268 females, total 2331

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.

Penlan chapel, Pwllheli - see above

Penlan Chapel, List of Documents [in chapel safe) 1954  - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales

Description and Travel

Pwllheli - on the Penllyn.com site

Gazetteers

Genealogy

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

History

Hughes, D G Lloyd.  Pwllheli: an old Welsh town and its history   Gomer 1991

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Pwllheli Workhouse - on Peter Higginbotham's site

Pwllheli Union records 1837-1948 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Schools

Records of Madryn Castle Farm School and Glynllifon Agricultural Institute 1916-1966 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Madryn Castle Farm School, Pwllheli was opened in 1913 .... as a technical school. ... It was closed in 1952, and moved to Plas Glynllifon, .... becoming Glynllifon Agricultural Institute. .... It became Glynllifon Agricultural College in 1954, and later became Coleg Glynllifon...."

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional [Last updated: 7 June 2013 - Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI