|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"DOL-BEN-MAEN, a parish in the hundred of Evionydd, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 12 miles from Carnarvon. Copper and manganese ore are found in this district. There used to be an old fort similar to the one at Del-ba-darn; and on the banks of the Dwyfawr, between Llanystumdwy and Dol-ben-maen, are several cromlechs. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Bangor, annexed to the rectory* of Penmowa, in the patronage of the bishop. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. A fair is held on the 26th August." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Dolben-maen Parish; Statistics; Area 2145 acres; Population 180 males, 202 females, total 382
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Dolbenmaen Motte - on the Castle Wales site
Aerial photograph of Dolbenmaen (including Ynys-y-Pandy Slate Mill) 1996 - on the People's Collection Wales site
DOLBENMAEN (DOL-BEN-MAEN), a parish in the hundred of EIVIONYDD, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 5 miles (N. W. by W.) from Tremadoc, on the road from Carnarvon, containing 355 inhabitants. There are some considerable veins of copper-ore in this parish, but no spirited efforts have ever been made to work them ; and the higher, or mountainous, part of it contains an abundance of manganese. Numerous quartz crystals, in the form of regular prisms of six, eight, and ten sides, terminating at one extremity in an obtuse point, and of considerable magnitude, have been found here, deeply imbedded in a species of black vegetable soil. A fair is held annually on August 26th. The living is rectorial and is consolidated with the rectory of Penmorva, in the archdeaconry of Merioneth, and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Beuno, is a small structure, in the later style of English architecture, built in 1432, and now in a very ruinous and neglected state. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. Not far from the church is a circular artificial mound of earth, on which was a castle, apparently built to guard the pass of the valley, and probably of British origin; but no remains of the building are now in existence. At Ystum Cegid, not far from the site of the castle, are three vast cromlechs, situated near each other and of very rude construction. A rent-charge of £2. 10. was bequeathed to the poor of this parish by an unknown benefactor. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 111. 7. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996