Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"DWYGYFYLCHI, a parish in the hundred of Uchaf, in the county of Carnarvon, 2 miles W. of Conway. It is a pleasant little village, situated on the coast. The Holyhead railway passes through the parish The hamlets of Isa-pen and Ucha-pen are within its boundary. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the copper works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor, value £125, in the patronage of H. and L. Eyton, Esqs. The church is dedicated to St. Gwynin. In this neighbourhood are a great number of antiquities, consisting of cromlechs and single upright stones, the remains of a British camp, with ditches and ramparts, &c." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Paget, Clara Lady. The caves in Allt Gwyn, Dwygyfylchi, Carnarvonshire in 1896. Cambridge : [Printed by J. Palmer], 1896. 14p
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Dwygyfylchi chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (April 2012)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Dwygyfylchi Parish; Statistics; Area 5794 acres; Population 467 males, 459 females, total 926
- The return in respect of the parish church is missing
- A separate enquiry form from the Superintendant Registrar dated Sept 1852 refers to a congregation of 80 and scholars 40
- Wesleyan Methodist, Penmaenmawr Erected 1841 Attendance - morning 60, afternoon 50, evening 64 John Evans, Elder
- Pen y cae Chappel, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1818, rebuilt 1840 Attendance - morning school, afternoon 115 + 60 scholars, evening 73 William Jones, Elder, Brynymor
- Horeb Nonconformist (ie Independent) Erected 1813 Attendance - morning 171 scholars, afternoon 200, evening 220 E Stephen, Minister
You can see pictures of Dwygyfylchi which are provided by:
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH732769 (Lat/Lon: 53.273868, -3.903028), Dwygyfylchi which are provided by:
Penmaenmawr Urban District Council records (additional deposit) - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Includes; Minutes, accounts and letter books, Dwygyfylchi
Local Board, 1880-1890...."