GENUKI Home page

Edeyrn Edeyrn     Contents Contents

Edeyrn


National Gazetteer (1868)

"EDEYRN, a parish in the hundred of Dinlaen, county Carnarvon, 2 miles W. of Nevin. The hamlets of Din-llyn, Perth, and Garswylld are included in this parish The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value with the curacies of Carngiwch and Pistill annexed, 362, in the patronage of the bishop."

"GARSIOYLLD, a village in the parish of Edeyrn, county Carnarvon, 2 miles W. of Nevin."

"GARSWYLLD, a village in the parish of Edeyrn, county Carnarvon, 2 miles W. of Nevin."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

EDERN (EDEYRN), a parish in the hundred of DINLLAEN, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 7 miles (W. N. W.) from Pwllheli, containing 563 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the shore of Carnarvon bay, and has an excellent harbour, called Porthinllaen, whence two vessels sail regularly for Liverpool with pigs, poultry, and eggs, bringing back coal for the supply of the neighbourhood. A new line of road from Merionethshire was made to this port by the late Mr. Madocks, with the view of its becoming the station for the Irish mail packets ; but, since Holyhead has obtained the preference, the road and the port have been neglected. That gentleman also greatly improved the pier at Porthinllaen, the construction of which was commenced in the reign of George I., who gave 600 towards defraying the expense.

The living is a discharged rectory, With the perpetual curacies of Pistill and Carngiwch annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at 8. 5. 10., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Edeyrn, is a small edifice, displaying some features in the early style of English architecture, and is lighted by one window only, at the east end, consisting of three lancet-shaped lights. At Groesfordd, a short distance from Edern, is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists.

There are some trifling charitable donations and bequests for distribution among the poor. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is 131. 15.

(Copied using  the Cd published by Archive CD Books


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 17 June 2005  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI