We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Eglwys-Rhos / Llanrhos
"EGLWYS-RHOS, a parish in the hundred of Creuddyn, county Carnarvon, 2 miles N.E. of Conway. In this neighbourhood copper and lead are obtained. It was anciently a British station of the Ordovices, and on an adjoining hill are the scanty remains of Diganwy, or Gannook, a strong castle, erected by Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester, in which Henry III. was besieged. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £167, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Hilary, is an ancient cruciform building, with oak roof and stained-glass windows. It contains monuments of the Mostyn and Gloddaeth families. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. The principal residences are Bodyscallen and Gloddaeth; this last is situated on the slope of a well-wooded hill, and contains some fine timber-work and carving." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
(In 2004) The benefice of Eglwysrhos (or Llanrhos) is a single parish benefice in the deanery of Llanrwst. It is also known as Degannwy; Deganwy.
The modern parish of Llanrhos contains the following Places of Worship ;
- St Hilary's, Llanrhos
- All Saints, Deganwy
- St Paul's, Craig y Don
- St David, Penrhyn Bay
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Eglwys-Rhos Parish (Diocese of St Asaph); Statistics; Area 3735 acres; Population 369 males, 360 females, total 729
- Eglwys Rhos Parish Church Attendance - morning 16 + 44 scholars, afternoon 19 + 40 scholars Services alternately English/Welsh John Davies, Minister
- Bethel Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1831 Attendance - morning 45 scholars, afternoon 55 + 15 scholars, evening 66 + 20 scholars Robert Twist, Superintendent of Sunday School, Tywyn, nr Conway
- Capel Isa, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1823 Attendance - morning 40 + 24 scholars, afternoon 52 scholars, evening 30 John Pritchard, Superintendent of Sunday School, Capel Isa, nr Towyn
- Moriah Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1839 Attendance - morning 70 + 16 scholars, afternoon 61 scholars, evening 90 + 10 scholars Thomas Jones, Superintendent of Sunday School, Ferm bach, nr Conway
You can see pictures of Eglwys-Rhos / Llanrhos which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Eglwys-Rhos / Llanrhos has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Ffynnon Santes Fair (Saint Mary's Well) by Ken Davies. "This is a short account of the rediscovery of the above-named well in January 1994 ..........."
Penrhynside - on the Roll of Honour site
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH793803 (Lat/Lon: 53.305839, -3.812894), Eglwys-Rhos / Llanrhos which are provided by: