GENUKI Home page

Caernarvonshire Caernarvonshire    Parish Index Towns & Parishes    Contents Contents

EGLWYS-RHOS

"EGLWYS-RHOS, a parish in the hundred of Creuddyn, county Carnarvon, 2 miles N.E. of Conway. In this neighbourhood copper and lead are obtained. It was anciently a British station of the Ordovices, and on an adjoining hill are the scanty remains of Diganwy, or Gannook, a strong castle, erected by Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester, in which Henry III. was besieged. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph, value 167, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Hilary, is an ancient cruciform building, with oak roof and stained-glass windows. It contains monuments of the Mostyn and Gloddaeth families. The parochial charities produce about 20 per annum. The principal residences are Bodyscallen and Gloddaeth; this last is situated on the slope of a well-wooded hill, and contains some fine timber-work and carving." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Church History

(In 2004) The benefice of Eglwysrhos (or Llanrhos) is a single parish benefice in the deanery of Llanrwst. It is also known as Degannwy; Deganwy.
The modern parish of Llanrhos contains the following Places of Worship ;

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Eglwys-Rhos Parish  (Diocese of St Asaph); Statistics; Area 3735 acres; Population 369 males, 360 females, total 729      

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.

Description and Travel

Llanrhos - on Wikipedia

Penrhyn Bay - on Wikipedia

Gazetteers

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833

History

Ffynnon Santes Fair (Saint Mary's Well) by Ken Davies. "This is a short account of the rediscovery of the above-named well in January 1994 ..........."

Penrhynside - on the Roll of Honour site

History of Deganwy Group site - includes archive material for Deganwy, Tywyn and Llanrhos

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional [Last updated: 20 June 2011 -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.