Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLAN-FAELRHYS, a parish in the hundred of Commitmaen, county Carnarvon, 4 miles from Bardsey Isle, and 12 S.W. of Pwllheli, its post town. It is situated on the W. coast of Porthniull Bay. Here are mines yielding manganese. The village is situated on high, rugged ground, overlooking the sweep of Porth Nigel, or Hell's Mouth, where the Transit was wrecked in 1839. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Aberdaron, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Maelrhys. The parochial endowments produce about £9 per annum." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Penllyn site - Llan Faelrhys Church
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanfaelrhys Parish; Statistics; Area 1679 acres; Population 129 males, 126 females, total 255
- Llanfaelrhys Chapel, being an ancient Church Attendance - average - evening 35 John Evans, Minister
- Tanyfoel, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1824 Attendance - morning 63 scholars, afternoon 120 Robert Evans, Elder, Penarfynydd
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Llanfaelrhys which are provided by:
LLANVAELRHYS (LLAN-VAELRHYS), a parish in the hundred of COMMITMAEN, Lleyn division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 14 miles (S. W.) from Pwllheli, containing 258 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the shore of St. George's channel, at the southern extremity of the great promontory of Lleyn, is but of inconsiderable extent, and is not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature, or connected with any events of historical importance. The views embrace an extensive prospect of the adjacent country, which is finely diversified, and of the channel, by which it is bounded on the south and south-east. Manganese has been found within the parish, but no mines of it have yet been opened. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Aberdaron, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Maelrhys, is a very small edifice, and in a very dilapidated condition. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. A circulating charity school, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children, is held in the village every fourth year, in turn with the parishes of Aberdaron, Bryncroes, and Rhiw, for the support of which a tenement was bequeathed in the parish of Bryncroes. There are some small charitable donations and bequests for the relief of the poor. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £ 57. 18. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833 by Samuel Lewis)
Collection of papers relating to the Evans family of Penarfynydd (farm), Llanfaelrhys
1817-1926 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH210268 (Lat/Lon: 52.808941, -4.657224), Llanfaelrhys which are provided by:
William Owen Roberts, Plas Llangwnadl Manuscripts 1793-1966 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"The collection consists of transcripts of the parish registers of ............. Llanfaelrhys 1812-1951 .... "