|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLAN-FAELRHYS, a parish in the hundred of Commitmaen, county Carnarvon, 4 miles from Bardsey Isle, and 12 S.W. of Pwllheli, its post town. It is situated on the W. coast of Porthniull Bay. Here are mines yielding manganese. The village is situated on high, rugged ground, overlooking the sweep of Porth Nigel, or Hell's Mouth, where the Transit was wrecked in 1839. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Aberdaron, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Maelrhys. The parochial endowments produce about £9 per annum." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Penllyn site - Llan Faelrhys Church
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanfaelrhys Parish; Statistics; Area 1679 acres; Population 129 males, 126 females, total 255
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Rhiw com site - Emigrants from the parishes of Llanfaelrhys, Rhiw and Aberdaron to America, 1800- 1886
LLANVAELRHYS (LLAN-VAELRHYS), a parish in the hundred of COMMITMAEN, Lleyn division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 14 miles (S. W.) from Pwllheli, containing 258 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the shore of St. George's channel, at the southern extremity of the great promontory of Lleyn, is but of inconsiderable extent, and is not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature, or connected with any events of historical importance. The views embrace an extensive prospect of the adjacent country, which is finely diversified, and of the channel, by which it is bounded on the south and south-east. Manganese has been found within the parish, but no mines of it have yet been opened. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Aberdaron, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Maelrhys, is a very small edifice, and in a very dilapidated condition. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. A circulating charity school, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children, is held in the village every fourth year, in turn with the parishes of Aberdaron, Bryncroes, and Rhiw, for the support of which a tenement was bequeathed in the parish of Bryncroes. There are some small charitable donations and bequests for the relief of the poor. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £ 57. 18. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833 by Samuel Lewis)
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996