|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANARMON, a parish in the hundred of Evionydd, county Carnarvon, 4 miles N.E. of Pwllheli, its post town, and 16 S. of Carnarvon. The village is very small, consisting of a few farmhouses. In the vicinity is the conical eminence of Carn Pentyrch and the village of Llangybi, where there is a mineral well. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor, annexed to that of Llangybi. The church is dedicated to St. Garmon. There are charities producing about £5 per annum." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Eglwysi Llangybi a Llanarmon = The Churches of Llangybi and Llanarmon. Llanystumdwy : Eglwys Llanystumdwy, [198-?] 6p
LLANARMON, St. Garmon 1858-1862 - on the Church plans online site
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Chwilog chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (July 2010) Also Rhos-lan chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (May 2011)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanarmon Parish; Statistics; Area 3753 acres; Population 300 males, 312 females, total 612
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
LLANARMON (LLAN-ARMON), a parish in the hundred of EIVIONYDD, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (N. E.) from Pwllheli, on the road to Carnarvon, containing 613 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated in a fertile plain, and the neighbour-hood partakes of the pleasing scenery which prevails in this part of the country. The living is a rectory not in charge, annexed to that of Llangybi, in the archdeaconry of Merioneth, and diocese of Bangor, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Garmon, is an ancient and spacious structure in good repair : some additional windows have lately been inserted, previously to which alteration the interior was very dark. There is neither a parsonage-house nor glebe land attached to the living. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. The Rev. Mr. Griffith, in 1729, bequeathed, in trust to the minister and churchwardens, lands producing £ 2. 10. per annum, for the benefit of the poor of the parish ; and Mrs. Jones left £20, of which the interest is given to poor widows. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 220. 18. ( Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis 1833)
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996