We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LLANBEBLIG, a parish in the hundred of Is-Gorfai, county Carnarvon, 7 miles S.W. of Bangor, and 1 mile from Carnarvon, its post town. It is situated on the river Seiont and the south-western shore of the Menai Strait. The parish, which is very populous, includes the borough of Carnarvon and the townships of Bont-Newydd, Castellmai, and Treflan. The workhouse of the Carnarvon Poor-law Union is in this parish. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bangor, value with the curacies of Carnarvon and Waenfawr annexed, £330, in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester. The church, dedicated to St. Publicius, is a spacious cruciform structure with several stained-glass windows. It contains a monument of alabaster to one of the Griffiths, and an ancient brass. The chapel of St. Mary, formerly the garrison chapel, is situated in the town of Carnarvon, in which the services are in English. The Calvinistic Methodists have two chapels in the parish." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]


Ebsworth, Jill. The Morrises of Ysgeifiog and Llanbeblig.  Gwreiddiau Gwynedd/Gwynedd Roots 23 (1992), p. 8-13

Jones, William H. Old Karnarvon : a historical account of the town of Carnarvon, with notices of the parish churches of Llanbeblig & Llanfaglan. Carnarvon : H. Humphreys, [1889].  186p

Business and Commerce Records

Garreg Fawr Deeds 1810-1933 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"The Garreg Fawr Slate and Mineral Co. Ltd quarried a small pit in the parish of Llanbeblig from the early 1800s......."

Cefn Du Manuscripts 1878-1928 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Until 1928 the Cefn Du Slate Quarry, situated in the parishes of Llanrug and Llanbeblig, was one of the most important of the minor quarries of Caernarvonshire...."


Transcription of the Llanbeblig 1891 census on the Carnarvon Traders site


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Llanbeblig area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Jones, G. O., papurau (papers) - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Includes; ..... original material relating to the parish of Llanbeblig and its churches, 1921-1982, including lists of clergy and officials and statements of account, 1926-1982, annual financial reports, 1941-1945, and miscellaneous letters, 1921-1976; books and pamphlets, some by G. O. Jones, on religion and local church history, 1954-1980......"

Llanbeblig churchyard -  on the Carnarvon Traders site

Plan of Caersalem Chapel (Baptist), Garnon St, Llanbeblig - on the People's Collection Wales site

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Waunfawr chapel (in Welsh )  - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Sept 2011)

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llanbeblig Parish and Carnarvon Borough; Statistics; Area 6792 acres; Population 4641 males, 5242 females, total 9883

  • Llanbeblig Parish Church                Attendance - average - morning 535, evening 624      Services in Welsh and English              Owen Jones, Churchwarden
  • St Mary's Chapel, Caernarvon         "Garrison Chapel attached to the military castle of Caernarvon built in the reign of Edward 2nd"          Attendance - morning 305, evening 290            Hugh P Manley, Warden
  • Carnarvonshire County Prison Chapel          Licensed before 1800     Attendance - average- afternoon 30          John Dixon, Governor
  • Twthill Free or Ragged School     "Schoolroom licensed in 1850 as an additional Place of worship"     Attendance - average - 140         Robert Williams, Curate of Twthill, District of Caernarvon
  • Waenfawr Licensed Schoolroom             "Licensed in 1835 as an additional place of worship"           Attendance - average - afternoon 55              Owen Jones, Churchwarden
  • Glandwr, Bank Quay, Latter Day Saints         Erected 1850          Room in a dwelling house            Attendance - morning 24, afternoon 26, evening 58             Morgan Jones, Minister; Robert Lloyd, Bank Quay
  • Pendref, Independents          Erected before 1800           Attendance - morning 348, afternoon 221, evening 671              David Roberts, Minister, Brynsaint
  • Moriah, Welsh Calvinistic Methodists           Erected before 1800          Attendance - morning 641, evening 921           "The present large Chapel was built in the year 1826 at the cost of above £4000. It was in lieu but not on the site of another which existed before the year 1800"            Wm Parry Williams, Elder, Bridge St
  • Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Wesleyan Methodists          Erected 1834         Attendance - morning 30, evening 30              William H Lewis, Minister, Carnarvon
  • Ebenezer, Wesleyan Methodists                Erected 1826          Attendance - morning 289, evening 509           George Gregory, Local Preacher, Skinner St, Carnarvon
  • Joppa, Snowden St, Independents          Erected 1841          Attendance - average - general congregation 150, scholars 90            William Parry, Deacon, Wellington Terrace
  • Caersalem, Baptist               Erected 1822        Attendance - morning 90, afternoon 98 scholars, evening 290          William Richards, Minister
  • Enegedi Chapel, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist           Erected 1842            Attendance - morning 432 scholars, afternoon 557 scholars, evening 678 scholars                "A Temperance Meeting is held every Sunday in this Chapel at half past 4 o'clock which is very numerously attended"            Robert Evans, Elder, Grocer etc, Pool St
  • Moriha, Waun-fawr, Independents           Erected 1829            Attendance - morning 47, afternoon 85 scholars, evening 58             Owen Prichard, Deacon
  • Bethel, Waenfawr, Calvinistic Methodist                Erected before 1800          Attendance - morning 281 scholars, afternoon 402, evening 444           Morgan Jones, Deacon, Hafod(olu), Waunfawr
  • Bontnewydd Chapel, Calvinistic Methodist          Erected 1840              Attendance - morning 125, afternoon 87 scholars, evening 199             Ellis Griffith, Deacon

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llanbeblig which are provided by:

Llanbeblig - on wicipedia (Welsh)


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanbeblig has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Land and Property

Papers relating to the Treflan Estate 1889 July 13 - ca. 1970s - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Comprises transcript copies and photocopies of documents relating to the Treflan Estate, Llanbeblig and Waun-fawr, Caernarfonshire......."


Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH493620 (Lat/Lon: 53.133779, -4.254128), Llanbeblig which are provided by:

Public Records

Llanbeblig Rate Books 1847- 1927 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales