GENUKI Home page

Llanbeblig Llanbeblig     Contents Contents

Llanbeblig


National Gazetteer (1868)

"LLANBEBLIG, a parish in the hundred of Is-Gorfai, county Carnarvon, 7 miles S.W. of Bangor, and 1 mile from Carnarvon, its post town. It is situated on the river Seiont and the south-western shore of the Menai Strait. The parish, which is very populous, includes the borough of Carnarvon and the townships of Bont-Newydd, Castellmai, and Treflan. The workhouse of the Carnarvon Poor-law Union is in this parish. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bangor, value with the curacies of Carnarvon and Waenfawr annexed, 330, in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester. The church, dedicated to St. Publicius, is a spacious cruciform structure with several stained-glass windows. It contains a monument of alabaster to one of the Griffiths, and an ancient brass. The chapel of St. Mary, formerly the garrison chapel, is situated in the town of Carnarvon, in which the services are in English. The Calvinistic Methodists have two chapels in the parish."

"BONT-NEWYDD, a village in the parish of Llanbeblig, hundred of Is-Gorfai, in the county of Carnarvon, not far from Carnarvon."

"CASTELLMAI, a village in the parish of Llanbeblig, hundred of Isgorvai, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 2 miles from Carnarvon."

"TREFLAN, a village in the parish of Llanbeblig, county Carnarvon, near Carnarvon."

"WAENFAUR, a chapelry in the parish of Llanbeblig, hundred of Isgorfai, county Carnarvon, 2 miles from Carnarvon, near the Menai Straits."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

LLANBEBLIG (LLAN-BEBLIG), a parish in the hundred of ISGORVAI, COUNTY of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, containing, with the borough of Carnarvon, which is situated within its limits, 7642 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Peblic, or Publicus, who, according to the Welsh annalists, was the son of Maximus and his wife Helen, daughter of Eudaf, Duke of Cornwall, and who, assuming a religious habit, retired from the world and lived in seclusion at this place. The history of the parish is so connected with that of the borough of Carnarvon, that it has been necessarily anticipated in the account of that town. Richard II bestowed the church of Llanbeblig, together with the chapel of Carnarvon, on the convent of St. Mary in Chester, in order to augment the endowment of that establishment. This parish is situated on the river Seiont, and, is traversed by a railroad leading from the slate quarries in the Vale of Nantlle to the quay at Carnarvon. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Carnarvon annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at 12. 5. 5., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester : the vicarage is endowed with one-third of the great tithes, and the remaining two-thirds are appropriated to the see of Chester. The church, dedicated to St. Peblic, is a spacious and venerable cruciform structure, in the later style of English architecture, but considerably modernized by successive repairs, and contains some ancient and interesting monuments, among which is the tomb of Sir William Grufydd of Penrhyn, who died in 1587, and Margaret, daughter of John Wynn ab Meredydd, whose figures are represented lying on a mat, exquisitely sculptured in marble, the former in complete armour. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. A very thin plate of gold, about four inches in length and one in breadth, supposed to be a Basilidian talisman of the second century, was discovered here within the last few years : it bears two inscriptions, the first of which is in Greek, and the second in astral, or magic, characters. The remains of the Roman station Segontium, and other important relics of antiquity contained in this parish, are described in the article on CARNARVON. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor, including those of the town of Carnarvon, amounts to 1582. 18.

(Copied using  the Cd published by Archive CD Books


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 19 July 2005  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI