Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLANDDEINIOLEN, a parish in the hundred of Is-Gorfai, county Carnarvon, 4 miles N.E. of Carnarvon, its post town, and 6 from Bangor. It is situated at the head of the vale of the Cegid to the N.W. of Snowdon, and E. of the Menai Straits. The parish, which is very populous, includes the villages of Clwt-y-Bont, Ebeneza, and Penisarwain. The old Roman road passes through it. The people are mostly employed in the Dinorwig slate quarries. There are several mineral springs. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value £305, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is a small ancient structure. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. In the neighbourhood are some objects of antiquarian interest, including a rocking stone, a Druidical circle, and cyttian, the ruins of the palace of Llewelyn ap Grufydd, the last of the princes of North Wales, at Llys Dinorwig, and the pass of Nant-y-Garth, through which it is said Archbishop Baldwin and Giraldus passed in 1118." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Williams, A Wynn. King Arthur's Well, Llanddeiniolen, near Caernarvon : a chalybeate spring equal to any of the German spas, with directions for its use; also, a description of British and druidical remains, and other objects of interest, in the neighbourhood. Caernarvon : Printed by H. Humphreys, 1858. 68p
Deiniolen Co-operative Society Records (Additional) 1915-1961 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Deiniolen Co-operative Society Ltd was based in Deiniolen, Llanddeiniolen; established by 1915, dissolved in 1981.."
Dinorwic Quarry records 1809-1970 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Slate quarrying at Dinorwig dates back to the 18th century. In 1787, Thomas Assheton-Smith (1752-1828) of the Faenol estate, leased his workings to the Dinorwig Slate Company............"
Bethel Congregational Chapel - see under Genealogy below
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Bethel chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (May 2012) Also Shiloh chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Oct 2012) Also Ebenezer chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (April 2013) Also Bozrah chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Jan 2010) Also Pentir chapel (Peniel at Waen-pentir) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Jan 2010)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanddeiniolen Parish; Statistics; Area 9024 acres; Population 2460 males, 2434 females, total 4894
- Club Room, Llanddeilionen (denomination not stated but see below) Erected before 1810 Attendance - usual - afternoon 15 Informant; Wm Williams, Registrar
- Llanddeilionen Parish Church Consecrated before 1800. Rebuilt on same site 1843 Attendance - morning 60 "Afternoon service is performed in a club room at the mountain end of the parish" "I would beg to observe that the Parish Church of Llanddeiniolen is within 3/4 of a mile of the lower boundary of the Parish, and is well placed as regard the old agricultural population. But the bulk of the present population, which has, during the last forty years, been drawn together by the working of Mr Assheton Smith's slate quarries, lies at a distance from the Church of from 3 to 5 miles. There are in the parish 13 dissenting Meeting Houses." Services in Welsh T N Williams, Rector
- Sion, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1818 Attendance - morning 70, evening 91 Erasmus Thomas, Trustee acting on behalf of the Minister Erasmus Thomas, Llwyngwynt, Llanddeiniolen
- Bethel, Independent or Congregational Erected c 1811 Attendance - morning 126, afternoon 152 scholars, evening 164 "In this part of Wales the congregations are much more numerous on Sunday evenings ........." David Griffith Ivan, One of the Minister
- Peniel Chapel, Independent Erected 1831 Attendance - morning 67 scholars, afternoon 55, evening 70 William Thomas, Pentir
- Pisga, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1833 Attendance - morning 50, afternoon 60, evening 70 Edward Jones, Elder; Richard Bonner, Minister, Yr Allt, Pentir
- Jehofa - Jeira, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1811 Not a separate building Not used exclusively as a place of worship Attendance - morning 56 scholars, afternoon 57, evening 76 William Price, Joiner, Penisaf Waen
- Bazra Chapel, Independent Erected 1841 Attendance - morning 36, afternoon 58 scholars, evening 46 Griffith Thomas, Penisarwaen
- Rhydfawr, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1820 Attendance - morning 140 scholars, afternoon 160, evening 166 Owen Owens, Elder, Bryneithin
- Ebenezer Chapel, Independents Not used exclusively as a place of worship Attendance - morning 268 scholars, afternoon 356, evening 360 "NB. Many of our Attendants who used to attend our Chapel being ill at home and Great many are gone & going to America during the last and present twelve months" Thos Edwards, Minister, Ebenezer
- Cefn-y-Waen, Calvinistic Methodists Erected 1838 Day School Attendance - morning 217 scholars, afternoon 307, evening 268 William Rowlands, Deacon, Cefn y Waen
- Ysgoldy Llanddeiniolen, Calvinistic Methodists Erected 1808 Attendance - morning 428, afternoon 184 scholars, evening 537 Robert Ellis, Minister, Cwrt-ybont
- Dinorwic Chapel, Calvinistic Methodists Erected 1833 Attendance - morning 306, afternoon 318 scholars, evening 297 Robert Jones, Trustee, Groeslon, Dinorwic
- Sardis, Baptists Erected 1820 Attendance - morning 62 scholars, afternoon 106, evening 108 John Jones, Minister, Dinorwig
- Bryn-yr-Efail, Calvinistic Methodists Erected 1844 Attendance - morning 110, afternoon 205, evening 86 Daniel Pritchard, Bryn yr efail
You can see pictures of Llanddeiniolen which are provided by:
R. D. Evans Papers 1780-1957 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Robert David Evans lived at Bryn Mair, Tre Gof, Bethel, Llanddeioniolen....."
Papurau Teulu Thomas, Tyddynyberth, Bethel - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Papers of the Thomas family, Tyddynyberth, 1839-1979, including annual reports and other records of Bethel Congregational Church, 1885-1979; other papers relating to religion in Caernarfonshire, 1856-1970......" Cefn-Llan Manuscripts 1781-1914 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Cefn-llan was a farm in the parish of Llanddeiniolen home to the Hughes family. They were a family of Independents and two of the sons became preachers..............."
Quarry proprietors, the Faenol Dynasty and Dinorwig - on Slatesite
The Roofing Slates of Dinorwig - on Slatesite Dinorwic Quarry Accident Book 1908-1968 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
Minute Book of the Dinorwic Quarry Hospital Fund 1916-1925 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
Bron y Fuches Records 1842-1957 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Records mainly relating to Bron y Fuches, Dinorwig, and the Williams family...."
Coed Helen Papers - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Includes; ....... rentals of the Coed Helen and Glascoed (Llanddeiniolen) estates, 1849-1862....."
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH543661 (Lat/Lon: 53.171999, -4.181315), Llanddeiniolen which are provided by:
Vaynol Papers - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
" ..............The archive also includes papers relating to Llanddeiniolen