"LLANDDEINIOLEN, a parish in the hundred of Is-Gorfai, county Carnarvon, 4 miles N.E. of Carnarvon, its post town, and 6 from Bangor. It is situated at the head of the vale of the Cegid to the N.W. of Snowdon, and E. of the Menai Straits. The parish, which is very populous, includes the villages of Clwt-y-Bont, Ebeneza, and Penisarwain. The old Roman road passes through it. The people are mostly employed in the Dinorwig slate quarries. There are several mineral springs. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value £305, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is a small ancient structure. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. In the neighbourhood are some objects of antiquarian interest, including a rocking stone, a Druidical circle, and cyttian, the ruins of the palace of Llewelyn ap Grufydd, the last of the princes of North Wales, at Llys Dinorwig, and the pass of Nant-y-Garth, through which it is said Archbishop Baldwin and Giraldus passed in 1118." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Williams, A Wynn. King Arthur's Well, Llanddeiniolen, near Caernarvon : a chalybeate spring equal to any of the German spas, with directions for its use; also, a description of British and druidical remains, and other objects of interest, in the neighbourhood. Caernarvon : Printed by H. Humphreys, 1858. 68p
Dinorwic Quarry records 1809-1970 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Slate quarrying at Dinorwig dates back to the 18th century. In 1787, Thomas Assheton-Smith (1752-1828) of the Faenol estate, leased his workings to the Dinorwig Slate Company............"
1851 Census of Llanddeiniolen. A full transcription by Joyce & Douglas Hinde in both "As Enumerated" and "Surname Order" form.
Bethel Congregational Chapel - see under Genealogy below
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Bethel chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (May 2012) Also Shiloh chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Oct 2012) Also Ebenezer chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (April 2013) Also Bozrah chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Jan 2010) Also Pentir chapel (Peniel at Waen-pentir) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Jan 2010)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanddeiniolen Parish; Statistics; Area 9024 acres; Population 2460 males, 2434 females, total 4894
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office
Capel Dinorwig, cofysgrifau (records) 1865-1866, 1870-1984 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Sefydlwyd yr achos ym 1825 mewn ysgoldy bach yn ymyl chwarel Dinorwig ......................."
Llanddeiniolen - on wicipedia (Welsh)
Dinorwig - on Wikipedia
Dinorwig Power Station - on Wikipedia
Photographs of Dinorwig Slate Quarry - on the People's Collection Wales site
Photographs of Dinorwig Quarry Workshops - on the People's Collection Wales site
Papurau Teulu Thomas, Tyddynyberth, Bethel - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Papers of the Thomas family, Tyddynyberth, 1839-1979, including annual reports and other records of Bethel Congregational Church, 1885-1979; other papers relating to religion in Caernarfonshire, 1856-1970......" Cefn-Llan Manuscripts 1781-1914 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Cefn-llan was a farm in the parish of Llanddeiniolen home to the Hughes family. They were a family of Independents and two of the sons became preachers..............."
Quarry proprietors, the Faenol Dynasty and Dinorwig - on Slatesite
The Roofing Slates of Dinorwig - on Slatesite Dinorwic Quarry Accident Book 1908-1968 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
Minute Book of the Dinorwic Quarry Hospital Fund 1916-1925 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
Coed Helen Papers - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Includes; ....... rentals of the Coed Helen and Glascoed (Llanddeiniolen) estates, 1849-1862....."
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996